Question involving options/limitations of aluminum deck coating/waterproofing.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was looking for a floor/decking covering/coating forum sticky topic that directly addressed the waterproofing methods of the top of a new wood floor on an aluminum boat, but couldn't find one or a topic that explained why.

Right now I am asking for knowledge/understanding of the matter, should I need to replace/repair such a floor on an aluminum boat I have. It's got a solid transom and floors, so no project boat situation yet.

What options do work and what options do not work and most importantly why it is such option an okay, good, poor, or terrible choice.

One question in particular I would like to know is why is using polyester resin with fiberglass (1708, CSM) on the top of the boat floor a bad idea or won't work on aluminum boat floors. This application of course would be after the rivets for the boat deck were applied to the proper anchor points.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Poly and glass will work on a Tin Can boat floor. Not as good as epoxy and paint but it will work. Poly is not as flexible or strong as Epoxy and does have a tendency to "Check" at times but...That's usually due to improper lamination or excessive flex. With a deck this usually won't occur. There's also the Old Timers Recipe that can be used and offers a good less expensive alternative to the resin. It's prolly your 3rd choice but IF the boat doesn't get used a whole lot and it's covered and cared for well, It will last for a good long time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	OldTimersRecipe2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	168.7 KB ID:	10651660

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The main reason I brought up polyester resin is if I redo a boat floor, whether aluminum boat or a fiberglass one, I really want to avoid carpet like the plague on the boat deck floor or any plastic/roll on cover flooring that can easily rip or tear.

Doing boat carpet (especially edging) feels like going to the DMV on the worst day of the week for it or going to the dentist knowing you're going to pay a crap load of money and feel crappy after the procedure for several hours.

Boat carpet has its places and uses, but I'd rather not deal with it on the deck.

Preferably something close to the performance/durability of gel coat where I could strategically place weighted interlocking rubber mats which drain easily that won't move very much to prevent slipping.

If something chips it up or scrapes it, easy to patch it up with gel coat.

From the data you gave me WOG on its effect for plywood decks, the biggest concern I would have now in doing a polyester resin deck with fiberglass with gel coat on top would be the weight cost versus epoxy & paint or other solutions.

Unfortunately gel coat is not a viable option when the floor is epoxied because it won't bond to it. Paints I don't know any that won't do a splintering crack (not a small chip) if you drop something like a crescent wrench from 4 ft onto the floor.

Not trying to dream up a miracle cure solution for floor coating, just curious if there is close alternatives for gel coat.

Regarding the third option, I'd probably say no dice for me. I live in an area where things get very hot & humid for a long while in the summer and also get really cold as well in the winter. (winter lowest 7deg F, highest 103F). If there was salt water nearby, I'd probably declare where I live a boat graveyard of rotting boat floors,stringers, and transoms. (Dead boat walking).

I take care of stuff by draining, drying, and covering when done but I don't think that mix would be good enough here. I would definitely utilize that recommendation though for a smaller aluminum boat that needs something short & quick.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
line-x XS-650 originally developed by Line-X of Sarasota for off-shore fishing rigs and go-fast boats.