Gluing stringers...I'm sure, reviving a dead mule

motogeek1

Cadet
Hello all. I was hoping someone out there could give me some solid answers please. I have been through multiple threads in these iboats forums, numerous youtube videos including JMink's, and have talked with other builders, project restoration folks. People are using foam under stringers to keep from creating "hard spots" in the hull? I am so confused on this. I'm working a 1970 StarCraft TR150 fiberglass tri hull. I'm guessing the following is the original design. The lateral stringers are off the hull/suspended and sitting in the loosest layup of roving I have seen since starting this project. The center dagger stringer is bedded to the hull. So, some of the stringers are off the hull and center stringer bedded/in contact with the hull. 1) Even if I run a bead of thickened epoxy, put little foam pieces down the bead and set the stringer in, fillet, tab in...does the thickened epoxy not get hard and make a bond with all in contact and still form said "hard spots" in the hull?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
1) Even if I run a bead of thickened epoxy, put little foam pieces down the bead and set the stringer in, fillet, tab in...does the thickened epoxy not get hard and make a bond with all in contact and still form said "hard spots" in the hull?

Nope it does not. Wood is less flexible than the resin and glass. Read the 2nd link below for good info on how to do your deck, transom and stringers. Don't overthink things. Follow the guidelines of the members on here who have Many Years of experience and you can't go wrong. Sometimes, Like your mother said when you asked why..."Because I said so" IS the right answer. Experience is acquired by doing things and learning from your mistakes. The advice given here is almost always from "Learning from our mistakes". The main thing to understand is...The strength of your boat is NOT from the wood core, but from the glass encasement. The wood is mainly the "Form" to give shape to the glass. With Two layers of good 17oz glass, the wood core could disintegrate and your boat would still be structurally sound as long as the glass is strongly adhered to the hull.

motogeek1

Cadet
Thanks for the input Woodonglass. I'm a newbie in this whole boat deal trying to make this dinosaur as safe as possible so I thank you and all the others for their input and experience on the forum. I know there are so many trains of thought on how these things are to be done. I'm sure anything I do will be an improvement over the existing glass and stringer job

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yes it will!! MFG's do NOT do the best glass work. YOU WILL!!! Post pics and ask questions. This IS the worlds BEST Boat Restroration Forum and the Knowledge base is unbelievable. You can't go wrong following the advice and methods taught here. We ALL started where you are and believe me there has been some Unbelievable work done here, by rank amateurs such as yourself. If you're not allergic to hot, itchy work then you'll have a Great boat when you're finished.

motogeek1

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo300688.jpg
    photo300688.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300689.jpg
    photo300689.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300690.jpg
    photo300690.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 2

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You're getting there!!! The "Itchy" stuff is almost over!!!
What are you using to remove the stringers?

:eek:;)

motogeek1

Cadet
[No message]

Attachments

• photo300691.jpg
    photo300691.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300692.jpg
    photo300692.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300693.jpg
    photo300693.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300694.jpg
    photo300694.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300695.jpg
    photo300695.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300696.jpg
    photo300696.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300697.jpg
    photo300697.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo300698.jpg
    photo300698.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 1
  • photo300699.jpg
    photo300699.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 2

motogeek1

Cadet
I've been using a harbor freight oscillating tool. Works great. Grinding with angle grinder fitted with a 40grit flap disc

Dennischaves

Chief Petty Officer
Ditch the flapper discs
use 36 or 49 grit grinding discs
your moving right along
the worst is almost over I finished my boat in July and I’ve been out every weekend the feeling is great the first time you open her up

motogeek1

Cadet
Raining and 50° in Erie today on my day off. Going fishing! Thanks for all the input

motogeek1

Cadet
Kcassells, as far as fishing or for the boat? Haha. As far as fishing, I was just fishing. Getting close to steelhead season. Reports of some steelies making it to the mouth of local streams. Threw some flies around to break up the rust and test the water myself. As far as the boat goes. I just want it safe. The floor, transom, and, stringers we're shot. Also have a midevil obsolete motor project going at the same time.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
The boat will get done and be better than factory. I'm always all ears for fish stories. Never went for steelheads. Sounds like good fishing. Looks sporting!

9552424_orig.jpg