Splinters in gel coat and paint from installing to large of screws

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
i have a new boat. Couple months ago i found when they installed the rod holders in 8 out of the 12 rod holders and a couple of the cup holders cracks have developed from the screws installed. Mind you for me this is a substantial chunk of change i dropped on this boat. The cracks are small. Small enough the photos wont show it. The manufacturer will cover the repairs however i. Have my concerns with spot repairs all over my boat. It covers the entire rails front to back. Theirs also a number of them in the cross hatched grip pattern stamped into the gel coat or fiberglass. My biggest concern comes down the road if the patched areas peel or stand out like a soar thumb. If i ever sell it and this is noticable it could chase off a lot of potential buyers. I could have bought a new Vette and had some change left over, if i had a new vette with issues in every panel id demand a new car and would get it. But on some levels its very trivial. I could pull all the rod holders and work a thin coating of sealer drill the holes out large enough that they are not cracking in other areas etc. and move on it would probably not even be noticable if you didnt know it was there.

Ill be wrapped up with it for the summer soon and can let them have it as long as they want if i choose to have it fixed but i really dont know whats best long term. Any thoughts.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ask for an extended warranty on the newly performed repairs. Have it documented. In black and white. No handshake agreements.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with new boats, repairing gel is easy as the color fade will be consistent.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Have them fix it and get warranty in Writing. Squeaky Wheel get the Grease!!! Complain Persistently and Often until it's fixed to your satisfaction. Repairs done properly will last a long time with good maintenance and care.