Friscoboater’s Searay resto - drainplug Q

skunkedskippy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I’m trying to do what Friscoboater did on his Searay - make an oversized drainplug cutout and fill it with PB so water never has a chance to contact the wood.

He placed a section of PVC against the hole and PB’d around it. I’m assuming he did this because it’s easier than drilling through the hardened PB.

I’d like to do the same but I’m wondering how well resin will stick to PVC. I guess if it didn’t stick at all and the PVC fell out, I’d still achieve my goal of having a hole through the PB leading to the drain hole.

Friscoboater, if you see this thread please let me know if you had any issues with adhesion, if you would do it differently now, etc. Thanks!

link to his vid:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w5DaQvwTY3I

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I think you've already answered your own question...

two options: drill oversize, fill with pb, drill correct size (totally doable, how I did my engine mounts)
or, as you said, use PVC and butt it up against the garboard drain and pb around it.

to be honest, the key takeaway is, keep your transom wood away from the garboard drain in the first place.. my transom wood stopped about 2 inches above the drain.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I wouldn't worry about it. I'd PLAN on leaving the PVC in place. With a Garboard Drain the PVC will work GREAT!!!

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
When I did mine I stopped the wood about 2" high then filled in with-out PVC and tapered it down and in to the drain hole with a garboard drain on the outside.. for the drain hole from the bulkhead between the engine compartment and the fuel tank I cut a chunk out of a 1" piece of PVC so it was about a 70% circle, roughed up the outside, and used PB to put it in place. This way the PVC does not create a step that the water has to flow over but it is still covering all the wood.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I simply drilled thru the PB, then used a die grinder and carbide to radius the bilge side opening prior to applying the gel

skunkedskippy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Scott, what type of drill bit did you use? I can’t seem to get my spade bits to cut through PB.

John, I like your bulkhead idea. I’ll probably do the same.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Scott, what type of drill bit did you use? I can’t seem to get my spade bits to cut through PB.

John, I like your bulkhead idea. I’ll probably do the same.

drilled thru with a 6" long 1/8" bit then hole saw from both sides.