1982 Sea Sprite 1789 VEE

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
You can cradle on the trailer. Go over some posts, you'll see the diff. ways guys do it.

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I did the sea ray with the cap on, but I had access to everything I needed with the cap on. The only real advantage to pulling the cap is to gain access to areas you cannot get to with it on.

Jimmy7756

Cadet
I did the sea ray with the cap on, but I had access to everything I needed with the cap on. The only real advantage to pulling the cap is to gain access to areas you cannot get to with it on.

I have watched your build... my sea sprite is much like your sea ray. The cap does not go completely to the deck in the bow I think I could actually get to everything I needed up there without decapping. The transom has a small overhang from the cap at the top of the transom but I believe I could probably work around it. I think its just going to be one of those trial and error type things. Not removing the cap will definitely save some work..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Many I/O boats can be done without removing the cap. It can be a bit more challenging in the transom and bow area but that's Your personal call. If you have a Good Bunk Style trailer you can leave here on it and do a bit of additional bracing towards the bow. With the cap on there's only a slight chance of the hull being deformed. I agree with 10 gallons to start. It won't take long for you to determine how much your using to do a certain amount of work. Just remember that Less is best with resin. You only need enuf to make the glass go clear. It's easier to add more than to remove excess.;)

Jimmy7756

Cadet
Many I/O boats can be done without removing the cap. It can be a bit more challenging in the transom and bow area but that's Your personal call. If you have a Good Bunk Style trailer you can leave here on it and do a bit of additional bracing towards the bow. With the cap on there's only a slight chance of the hull being deformed. I agree with 10 gallons to start. It won't take long for you to determine how much your using to do a certain amount of work. Just remember that Less is best with resin. You only need enuf to make the glass go clear. It's easier to add more than to remove excess.;)

Great advice šŸ˜

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I hate to admit but I did not follow this advice and did mine on a roller trailer with no additional bracing. Then again I was working on a large vintage Sea Ray and the were not shy with the amount of glass they used in the hull. I would caution anyone from not adding bracing because many glass boats, especially smaller ones, do not have very strong hulls when you remove the structure. I had a tri-hull I could push the sides and flex them in and out. I think if I hit the side of the Sea Ray with a sledge hammer it would bounce back in my face. One thing I know for sure I would never ever consider doing this if I was poping the cap.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I hate to admit but I did not follow this advice and did mine on a roller trailer with no additional bracing. Then again I was working on a large vintage Sea Ray and the were not shy with the amount of glass they used in the hull. I would caution anyone from not adding bracing because many glass boats, especially smaller ones, do not have very strong hulls when you remove the structure. I had a tri-hull I could push the sides and flex them in and out. I think if I hit the side of the Sea Ray with a sledge hammer it would bounce back in my face. One thing I know for sure I would never ever consider doing this if I was poping the cap.

You should never admit to anything! LOL....
I'm doing the same thing. BUT... like you said if I had a boat that size I would brace it. On my boat decap was not an option. I had a mfg 15...now that I would have decapped. :joyous:

Jimmy7756

Cadet
Sorry about the long break. I have been working 7 days a week recently and the Admiral had the Halloween list I had to complete. I have gotten a few panels removed from the interior and started prepping the motor for removal.

Jimmy7756

Cadet
Ok so far I have gotten the motor and outdrive removed and am currently taking measurements of EVERYTHING!! I have slowly acquired all the PPE and tools I need to start the demo. I'm hoping to begin that process in the very near future. I tried attaching a few pictures but it wont let me...