1981 39' Cigarette Squadron XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I don't even want to know the price of one, let alone two...lol! While they are fast motors for sure, still nothing beats the sound of twin big blocks with blowers ;)

The 1650 is 9 liters of custom LS with 4-valve heads, twin turbos and a blower....

However a pair of 540 blower ready motors could be built for about 9k each

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
The 1650 is 9 liters of custom LS with 4-valve heads, twin turbos and a blower....

However a pair of 540 blower ready motors could be built for about 9k each

So they're turbo and supercharged? I just thought all the QC4V stuff was twin turbo, with the exception of the new N/A model this year (860 iirc?)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So they're turbo and supercharged? I just thought all the QC4V stuff was twin turbo, with the exception of the new N/A model this year (860 iirc?)

When I last looked at the prototype 1350 back in 2008, it was supercharged and turbocharged. looking at the specs, they increased the turbo size and dropped the SC. guess I stand corrected.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
When I last looked at the prototype 1350 back in 2008, it was supercharged and turbocharged. looking at the specs, they increased the turbo size and dropped the SC. guess I stand corrected.

Either way, super cool motors. Glad to see the marine world finally starting to catch up.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
when I worked for Cummins a decade ago we had a few really hot diesels for the race teams. a pair of 542hp QSB's with Konrad 680 drives would be sweet as well.

DryMartini

Cadet
Starting with the cabin since the weather is finally cooling down...a little. Old floor was rotted bad and i put my foot through it already, so I started ripping it out today. I also noticed the sides below the benches may need to replaced as well. Also, the section below the door. I will be building a step down into the cabin, since it is hard to get in and out.

Ux9Rui.jpg

IixBM2.jpg

ldgvAS.jpg

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey DryMartini - I know that you mentioned that this is an early 80's boat, but I swear that I remember that boat racing in the Hennessy Grand Prix, off of the Jersey shore in the late 70's?
It's a handsome boat!!!

DryMartini

Cadet
Hey DryMartini - I know that you mentioned that this is an early 80's boat, but I swear that I remember that boat racing in the Hennessy Grand Prix, off of the Jersey shore in the late 70's?
It's a handsome boat!!!

The previous owner used to race a 28' Magnum perhaps that was it?
zyEZg6.jpg

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Starting with the cabin since the weather is finally cooling down...a little. Old floor was rotted bad and i put my foot through it already, so I started ripping it out today. I also noticed the sides below the benches may need to replaced as well. Also, the section below the door. I will be building a step down into the cabin, since it is hard to get in and out.

Ux9Rui.jpg

IixBM2.jpg

ldgvAS.jpg

full gut and restore......

DryMartini

Cadet
The cabin is great except for the floor and the sides on the benches. I am going to replace the wood and put teak down ontop of it, and replace the sides. Also going to start prepping the rest of the wood for refinishing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The deck(floor) in your cabin is gone. To fix, you need you pull all the cabinets and redo the deck and stringers, then reinstall the cabin interior

aspeck

Staff member
Love the old pics also ... goes back to a day when no one thought much about safety. Sometimes I think we have swung too far the other way that fun goes out the window, but then, safety IS IMPORTANT.

G

I wouldn't go too crazy with with blown engines and 1000+ HP stuff, (unless of course you have deep pockets) those engines' lifespans are measured in hours, not years. A nicely (mildly) built set of big blocks without the high strung stuff, will not only last, but push the boat nicely. Bravo Ones can to the driving chores.

DryMartini

Cadet
I wouldn't go too crazy with with blown engines and 1000+ HP stuff, (unless of course you have deep pockets) those engines' lifespans are measured in hours, not years. A nicely (mildly) built set of big blocks without the high strung stuff, will not only last, but push the boat nicely. Bravo Ones can to the driving chores.

She used to have a set of blown 509s making 725hp aside, built by MRD Racing. However, for now- the plan is to do 454 or 502s and add performance headers, upgraded carbs etc. Drives are going to be SSMIII as the boat is already set up for them with the motor mounts in the correct position and room for the trans.

Getting pretty chilly out and I am going to be shrink-wrapping in the next few weeks.

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
I can't wait just to hear it run with those motor options. :thumb:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you know a stroked 509 is a 540..... 540 blower motors will make about 800 hp in mild tune

then again, you could go nuts with some aluminum blocked 632's and double blowers

dhaseotes

Recruit
Found out some neat history on my boat today. It used to be all white with a red stripe and black V-shaped windscreen. Was painted to the color you see now. A custom mold was built for the new fiberglass fairing, whole interior was redone, stuff on the deck was taken off and replaced with newer style pop up cleats etc. Original motors were 454's with TRS drives. Later on down the road, the MRD blower motors were added along with the raised rear section of the hatches to allow room since the blower motors were tall. The TRS were swapped out and holes filled in and raised for the speedy 3s..
Here is an older picture before the new seats were added and motors.
3rFZ1k.jpg
hows this project going? I also have a 39

Status
Not open for further replies.