1974 Starcraft SS16 Splashwell

Tallseeker

Cadet
My project cross support to splashwell before seating has one corner of aluminum attachment pont cracked clear throug. Stress fracture I surmise. Then stumbled upon wrched hul at salvage yard with sae metal fatigue at same location.
has anyone encountered the same, how did you stengthen and repair. I can weld it, but two boats with same issue may mean needs reinforced.a

Attachments

• photo298811.jpg
    photo298811.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo298812.jpg
    photo298812.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you looked at the transom wood, it was either mush or replaced. When a tin Starcraft is used with a bad transom all the force from the motor is flexing the wrong places. If you looked at the knee braces and splashwell bends, they probably had cracks too.

What I'm saying is it isn't poor design or a weakness in the structure, it's using a damaged boat that causes the cracks. Look at your S/C splashwell and knee braces.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have seen a lot of starcraft's with that same broken bracket on mine which I confirmed the transom was fine most likely was caused by people sitting on the splashwell at that point, all I did was cut a small piece of 3/4 3/4 aluminum angle and put it back together with 4 rivets and I did it on the other side as well before it had a chance to break.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
My project cross support to splashwell before seating has one corner of aluminum attachment pont cracked clear throug. Stress fracture I surmise. Then stumbled upon wrched hul at salvage yard with sae metal fatigue at same location.
has anyone encountered the same, how did you stengthen and repair. I can weld it, but two boats with same issue may mean needs reinforced.a

Hey Tall,

I had numerous problems with my SW as well. I ended up having it welded with reinforcements. Did the same thing for my Z Brace and Knee Brace.

Tallseeker

Cadet
Both are great information replies.
Knee brace inspected and fine, transom wood needs replaced so fits with structural degradation.
The aluminum angles will cut and add to for additional support.