Yamaha Waverunner GP1200

Kande140

Recruit
I rebuild the engine on a 1200. Cranks right up and ran good all day. Seems like a lot of water was getting into the hull. Other than the drain plugs, where else could water be getting in. Bottom of the hull looks good. I filled the hull with water and no leaks. What else can I do to find the leak. Doesn't appear to be the exhaust either. Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Two areas that are overlooked at times are the hull/ deck joint behind the rub rail or on the foot deck. Sometimes people will install padding / hyro turf that requires mounting holes to be drilled. If they are not filled in you can get water in that way. A fair amount of water ends up on the foot deck during use. Try hosing down the foot deck and see if any water starts coming in.

kcon

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd re-seal that hull joint with 3m 5200, I had a Yamaha XL1200 that had no sealant between the joint. Though you might want to take the seat off and ride it for a bit at throttle while watching the inside, If a lot of water is getting in it could be the exhaust (though you said you checked it, did you check it under load?) or perhaps an engine gasket is bad or upside down, I actually had that issue, I put on a gasket the wrong direction and the engine was spitting out a ton of water from the head, didn't even see it was happening till I was at throttle.