Below Deck fuel tank replacement?

tpenfield

Staff member
If it does turn out that the tank is foamed in along the bottom and sides, you can cut into the foam along the sides fairly easily and then maybe pull some of the foam out from one end. At that point, you may be able to get a (strong) lifting strap under the end of the tank and use it to pry the end up, which will start to break the grip of the foam.

If the tank is merely fastened it, it should not be too hard . . . but in your pictures, I did not see any mounting brackets, etc that would indicate so.

bennnyjw

Seaman
So it seems like there are 4 points on the tank that may have been glued in on the side, and the tank may even be a little wide for the framing. Tomorrow I’m going to try and get a longer bit for my oscillating tool. Cause it has not budged at all so far and not any room to pry it from the end.

Attachments

• photo298831.jpg
    photo298831.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 0

bennnyjw

Seaman
Probably, it’s raised up a bit in the pic at the end but seems like some fiberglass in it. Probably nothing I can use to dissolve any foam on the bottom? I pulled so hard on the vent I thought I might break it off.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't think FG would be on top, if it was, how would the builder get to it, in order to fasten to hull. Just my guess, and have been wrong many times

tpenfield

Staff member
If it is foamed in, you will need many 100’s of lbs of lifting force to ‘pop’ the tank from the foam, unless you can gain access to the underside of the tank.

that’s what the very strong strap is for. You will have to rig something to span the opening to get a jack or something over the tank to lift the tank via the strap.

bennnyjw

Seaman
If it is foamed in, you will need many 100’s of lbs of lifting force to ‘pop’ the tank from the foam, unless you can gain access to the underside of the tank.

that’s what the very strong strap is for. You will have to rig something to span the opening to get a jack or something over the tank to lift the tank via the strap.

Good advice, thank you!

bennnyjw

Seaman
Got the tank out, used a come along and some boards. All fiberglass around the hole, I don’t really want to cut out the fiberglass to look below?

Attachments

• photo298886.jpg
    photo298886.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I would not remove the glass. What was under the tank that was holding it?

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds right, most tank manufactures require 1/4 to 3/8 rubber to protect tank from hard spots. normally top and bottom

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Perfect response Alldodge. No rubber for the tank to breathe. But it's just not any rubber. Dang mass produced boat mfg's.