Can’t find HIN need help

Mhjr

Cadet
i Acquired this little beauty from a friend whose dad passed on and she needed it gone ASAP. She tells me it was last registered in Texas and the tittle was lost in a house fire awhile back. Between the lack of hin numbers on the hull and no registration numbers. I can’t even tell you what the model is let alone get a lost title claim started. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo298642.jpg
    photo298642.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 0
  • photo298643.jpg
    photo298643.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo298644.jpg
    photo298644.jpg
    865.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo298644.jpg
    photo298644.jpg
  • photo298644.jpg
    photo298644.jpg

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
There is not a tag on the transom with a HIN on it?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm do you have a Title? Where do you live? Titles can really be a PITA for boats!!! HIN Tag could be under dash or under the Throttle control unit

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
You can't start a lost title request because you didn't lose the title. The person who sold it to you has to do it as an estate executor or the real executor.

What happened to the TX rego numbers? A boat sitting in a backyard is usually going to have the numbers.

What about the trailer? It needs paperwork to transfer ownership as well.

chevymaher

Commander
Mine had 2 HIN's One slightly above the right side of swim deck. One on the port/passenger side under the side panel.

Mhjr

Cadet
It has a tag with a manufacturer serial number under the throttle but it’s only seven digits. The trailer has paper work to go with it but not the boat. Ga boater you are correct in NM I’m going to have to buy a General bond and all that good stuff but I can’t get a bond on anything without some identifying numbers.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That boat should have the HIN in two different places, one on the right side of the transom, the last Sea Ray I looked at had it stamped in the fiberglass from the factory and it had a hidden HIN plate under the right side rail close to the helm. The hidden one you almost had to stand on your head to see it.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine has it stamped in the fiberglass under a cushion on the bow. So basically - think of the last place you'd expect it to be - and look there.

Mhjr

Cadet
I will keep looking then. I appreciate you all responding to such a noob question. If I can get all of this paperwork stuff straight this will be my first boat and I’m super stoked about it

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
It looks like secondary HIN's weren't required until 1984, so if the boat is older than that - it may not have the secondary HIN. Check underneath the helm. Its not going to be real obvious, you'll have to look real hard.

Mhjr

Cadet
I looked under the helm and all around the cockpit removed all the hardware and still the only numbers I can come up with are on the tag under the throttle. It’s a serial number (72-190 is what it starts with then a bunch of it is worn off it finishes out with 195) I took a picture too upload but apparently the file size is too big.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Someone else will know more than me, but it looks like you have a 1972 Sea Ray 190 based on comparison pictures from Google. HINs didn't become required until 1972. I don't know if boats do like cars do - where the year model is put out before the year (like how you can already get a 2019 Tahoe..). If it does, then it could be that the boat was physically built in 1971, and even though it was a model 1972, still might not have a HIN.

You really need the previous registration number from Texas. The registration information on file with Texas will have all of the details of the boat, so you can at least begin the process for a lost title.

Mhjr

Cadet
I went ahead and drug it down to the New Mexico State Police yesterday afternoon told them the whole story, the officer was more than helpful and has begun what they have to do to verify it’s not stolen. If everything comes back clear nmsp will provide me with what I need to get a title. After that I’ve got to replace the transom, stringers and deck. Then it’s play time

Mhjr

Cadet
Thank you guys again for the advice. I’m sure I will be asking many more questions around here and hopefully after some learning I can contribute a little something here and there