Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Using the Tremclad method. Just finished my first coat and it’s too dark now and also I’m worried abut the dew so I will stop for now. Tomorrow morning I will lightly sand with 80 or 120, wipe with mineral spirits and then apply second coat. Give it a couple days in the sun (or rain ) then sand with 220 and start colour coats. Unless I sand to 400? Please chime in if I’m doing something wrong guys. Thanks!

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
i Think someone with more paint experience will chime in but I think 80 is plenty for sanding. You want to keep it with some bite.

dezmond

Well it is in Primer now. 1st coat went on last night. Left it alone until this afternoon then sanded with 80grit and faired a few small spots. Then at 6ish tonight the wife and I went back out and applied the 2nd coat. Used almost 3 quarts of Tremclad primer in total for both coats.

Will let that cure for at least a few days. Then I will go and sand it all with 220 or 360grit and wipe it all done and have it ready for colour this upcoming weekend. 1 coat of colour a day so 2 coats next weekend then plan to do anoter 2 coats the following weekend. Want to have enough on there incase I feel like wet sanding it all and polishing it. We shall see.

dezmond

the left sides are not sanded flat. The sun is playing shadow games on your eyes. No worries.

dezmond

Thanks. Yes it is that time of year for everyone to be playing :). I get to watch for this season as I’m sure it won’t be ready. That’s ok, come spring it will be ready for the water.

chevymaher

Commander
You will get it. Look how long I struggled before I started to be done. I may not be done with my luck but I am alot closer.

dezmond

Yep. Thanks Chev. I guess I’m like a lot of people on here. You get all excited and figure a good date to splash and that falls apart. Still enjoying it and I know have come to reality with it being ready for next year. I can be more picky now and not rush as well ;). If I can at least get the hull complete then I can tuck
it away for the winter and work on dressing the engine up and make all my upholstery then it should be an easy spring to finish. That’s the new plan for now. Started to sand the primer tonight with 320grit paper so it’s nice and smooth for colour maybe this weekend. A lot of what I would call orange peel on the primer so it’s gonna take a lot of sanding. But that’s ok. I got the time. Also it’s 38 with the humidity today so wont
be doing a lot at a time.

dezmond

Woodonglass I keep reading your post on painting roll & roll but can’t find what to do after primer before colour prep. I am sanding with 320grit paper right now. Is this ok? Also what grit should I be using between colour coats? And how long between colour coats? Can I re apply colour in a certain time without sanding? You have more details on spraying and I didn’t know if I should use those with rolling ? Any advice would be great. I don’t want to screw this one up.

chevymaher

Commander
I hear you. My original plan was fix the motor put it in and just buff it and do interior. Then I joined this site. DO DO DO wongo bucko. And it was all over but the crying. But it is fun in its own way just doing the restoration. I don't say much I don't consider myself expert. So I just watch and enjoy peoples progress. Hit like button alot.

dezmond

chevymaher lol. Ya that like
button is contagious 😷. We young newbies look up to you guys for advice and comments. I won’t be no expert by the time I’m done but I will sure chime in with help if needed. The boat restoration is a lot of fun for both me and having the family help out. Even though I don’t see the kids very often giving a hand, when I do it sure is nice ;)

Hab

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice work Dezmond, I don't know jack about paint, I have trouble painting a barn.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Dez,
Happy 4th to ya all up in Knanada.
JMHO......... you are doing great! I really enjoy your build.
Glad that you got hit with and realize the schedule STICK isn't the most important thing.
Making it better than factory, doing it right always seems to take a longer approach. In the end like you ARE doing with the rebuild will make it all worth it.
92 deg. here and humid.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Woodonglass I keep reading your post on painting roll & roll but can’t find what to do after primer before colour prep. I am sanding with 320grit paper right now. Is this ok? Also what grit should I be using between colour coats? And how long between colour coats? Can I re apply colour in a certain time without sanding? You have more details on spraying and I didn’t know if I should use those with rolling ? Any advice would be great. I don’t want to screw this one up.

After primer is sanded and wiped down with Acetone roll the first color coat. Wait 1-2 hours then Wet Sand with 320, wipe down with acetone and apply next coat. Repeat!! For roll n roll I'd recommend 4 coats minimum

dezmond

Woodonglass thanks. Almost done the sanding of the primer. Might try to put colour on next weekend. Been most of the day sanding and getting tired. Hope to have it all ready for paint before dark tonight so I can then give it a good wash and have it ready.

dezmond

Well a successful weekend. Did a final wash and wipe, taped the rub rail and applied the first coat of colour. Very happy with the results. Roll and tipped. Wife rolled and I tipped. Went down pretty smooth. Since we did it outside i got a few bugs in the paint and some orange peel but other than that pretty happy. Won’t get a chance to go back and wet sand with 400 grit for a couple days but then i hope to have a second coat on by Thursday night and finish up by the end of the weekend. I will then let it cure for at least a week. Plan to change out the wobble rollers and paint the trailer while waiting for the boat to harden. Moving forward and seeing colour is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.