Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks WOG for the advice. I know I am overkilling it wrapping my stringers and bulkheads in 17oz biax. Oh well. I know they will be there a looooooong time and will be sealed as I am wrapping right over the top of them. Doing it out of the boat is nice as well. Give e the chance to work the bubble out and also not wreck my back or knees ;)

A busy weekend, Had out company dinner Saturday night and went and visited the inlaws today so I didn't get a chance to get a whole lot done. I did cut out the template for the remainder stringers and got them cut and soaking in resin. Also wrapped my second bullhead with 2 layers of 17oz tonight so it will be ready to install as well. I plan to have stringers and bulkheads bedded this week and maybe tabbed.

I have to cut some holes in the starboard front stringer for my chases but won't do that until I know what will work and where they will need to go.

A couple of pics from today..> Sorry not very many. I will have lot's more this week for sure...

Again thanks everyone for the advice and comments.. Keeps me going on this project... Can't wait to see a deck on there so I can start to plan my interior. And of course more clean up on the side walls etc... But hey "Variety Is The Spice Of Life" ;)

Have a great night!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Good progress. Overkill is NOT a bad thing, it just hits the old wallet a bit more!!!! At least your Grandkids or the Next owner will appreciate it!!!!:D:lol:

dezmond

Good progress. Overkill is NOT a bad thing, it just hits the old wallet a bit more!!!! At least your Grandkids or the Next owner will appreciate it!!!!:D:lol:

hahahahaha yep I hear ya.. Well you know.... I have noticed something though with using Epoxy over poly... With what I have done so far in my thread, I have only used maybe 3 1/2 - 4 gallons of resin.... I think I am doing really good so far. I don't think I will use more than 10 Gallons all said and done. And that includes my one off custom center console and interior... I may be wrong but....... If I am correct, and I use proper amounts of resin with very little waste, my costs could be close to the same as if I were to use Poly as I am sure i would need more because of the CSM soaking up so much.... Just my thoughts on this....

I really do like Epoxy though.. It hasn't given me any problems yet with my layups.. Also if I have any left when I'm done a task, I just slather it somewhere in the hull for extra sealing ;)

zool

Captain
Less is more with epoxy, you use just enough to fully wet it out, gives the best results...thats why its kind of a misnomer that poly is alot cheaper than epoxy, when you couple that with no hazmat shipping fees, its closer than most think....

Last edited:

dezmond

Hey Guys... Quick question for you.. I have bee shopping around for plywood for my deck. Just getting prices and stuff. My local lumber yards have 4x8 5/8" fir good one side. They also have 4x8 5/8" pine ACX grade.

Here is my question.... Which one would be better to use? Using epoxy. Going to put a layer of 17oz biax on the bottom and a layer of either 10oz or 6oz cloth on the topside.

Suggestions??

BTW, I got the front stringers covered with 2 layers of 17oz out of the boat this week as well as a bulkhead... Will be bedding and filleting them this weekend. Pics will be coming :)

Dezi

zool

Captain
Ive used both, the fir is usually CDX and has alot of knots and may be warped, but its strong, you just fill in the knots and voids with thickened resin before you wrap it, The ACX is is a bit weaker, but nice and clean and straight.....for stringers and bulkheads, its kinda your choice......for seat bases and su ch, I like the ACX or even MDO from Lowes.

oldrem

Commander
The ACX should have a lot fewer voids than CDX. I used ACX for everything on the Sylvan

dezmond

More looking for the deck... I am using the fir for all stringers, bulkheads... Just didn't know if I can continue with fir or would pine give me a better finish in the end? If fir is fine, I don't mind filling voids if needed..

Aaaaaand as of now, I have no idea what I will be doing with the deck.. Paint? Awlgrip? Carpet? I dunno :(

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
I used 1/2" MDO for my deck and above-deck structures. I ended up adding some stiffening ribs over the gas tank area on mine because the span was a little long and the floor had some flex. If I were to do it over again, I would still use it, but now I know what needs reinforcement and what doesn't... I didn't want the weight of 5/8" or 3/4" thick flooring. I also liked the MDO is basically designed to be exposed to the elements (its used for outdoor signs n' such).

However, regular ACX, BCX, CDX, will all work just fine once encapsulated properly. CDX tho tends to have more internal voids which can affect stiffness.

dezmond

our ACX here is pine.... I guess it really doesn't matter since I am sealing it and encapsulating it with cloth on both sides. Correct?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Good question not sure. But acx,bcx,cdx is all rated for exterior via glues. I don't think it matters what's wood it is. I've used all in my build. As long as its properly sealed and voids filled. no dif. As far as voicds and strength once glassed properly they are fine.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Fir is Douglass Fir, which is pine ;)

Technically not but I'm only being anal cuz my father in law and brotherinlaw are both arborists and I'm a woodworker so I have more wood facts in my head than I am proud of...lol

Most ACX plywood is made from pine or fir, depends on what the manufacturer has available at the time and where in the country they are (Pacific NW will typically use Doug fir or hemlock which is a fir.... if it's made in the southeastern us, they will most likely use southern yellow pine) ... either way it has to meet minimum standards for veneer quality and properties, so it really doesnt matter what type of wood it's made from as long as its branded acx.

zool

Captain
In my book, if its a member of the pinaceae family, its a pine lol...We get eastern white pine here, which I make pumpkin pine floors out of, real soft, but pretty when finished

Home Depot around here uses Arauco ply as its ACX from Radiata Pine....its got a good amount of veneers and is well suited for boats.

It runs about 35 a sheet. Im ripping tons of it now, routing T&G and using it on barn ceilings,

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Dez
i found acx Fir @ Local home hardware and cheaper than any of the big box guys
i think 1/2” was $39 for a 4x8 sheet and I had a hard time seeing what was the A side and which was the C side.
they were not my first thought of where to buy but I guess ya never know till you ask😉

dezmond

Hey Everyone :)

Well it was a good weekend.. Not a lot done on the boat but a lot accomplished :)

Got the stringers wrapped with 2 layers of 17oz.... Then decided I need to get some better storage and a cleaner work area so I built myself a new workbench and put up some slotwall to organize better...

If you look in the background of the first photo, that;s what I had to work with for a work bench. A half of a plastic shelf :(

Much happier now. I can find stuff easier. This afternoon, I decided to clean up the stringer and bulkhead, then mixed up some PB to attach them together out of the boat. \went really well. Hope tomorrow night to be bedding it in the hull..

Also cut the openings for the chases.. Found some really nice flexible PVC :) 2" and 1.5" Once I get the stringers in, I will do all my tabbing and also I want to put a layer or 2 of 10oz cloth on the hull before I lay the tubing..... Want to make sure it's good and string since I did grind a lot away during cleanup....

Will get lot's more pics along the way and post as soon as I can.... I get this weekend off of work coming up and then I am off from the 22nd to Jan. 6 so I think I will get some solid time to work on it over the holidays.

Dezi

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know about you but about every 2 days I need to clean the garage, Im also a little OCD so there's that. I feel like I get moving working on some layups and end up throwing stuff all over to keep me moving. I have a bench twice that size and it always starts out clean but ends up full of stuff.

What is in the blue and yellow package you have so many of?

dezmond

Ya. I try to keep things cleaned up as I go but that never happens.

Thos packages are cable grommet thingy’s. I use them for running video surveillance cables outside when I need them to pass through walls or whatever. They are for boats. I find them very useful :)

Status
Not open for further replies.