Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
This is the form for the dash. I am getting a insert cut and it will sit flush when installed. This way if I ever want to change the layout it is a lot easier.

More pics soon.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Too cool, just like building a wood model plane. That framing will save you a ton of weight and be tougher than most. Till now I didn't realize how far to the bow you were with placement. Being so lightly framed I don't see any issues.

dezmond

Too cool, just like building a wood model plane. That framing will save you a ton of weight and be tougher than most. Till now I didn't realize how far to the bow you were with placement.

Hahahahhahaha. Yep. It sure is.

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Just think.... the farther forward you put it, the bigger the motor in the back = more horsepower! :llama:

dezmond

Planning a sun deck on the back actually. We will see how much room I have and what the wife allows ;)

dezmond

Hey everyone. Been a busy week. Just got my first kit of 2lb foam in. I was hoping to start to pour tomorrow night. Could you guys give me some pointers/tips/direction as to figure out how much I need when I figure out the space I have to pour?

Dezi

tpenfield

Staff member
2 lb foam will expand up to 30 X its liquid volume. Store the liquid overnight in a very warm area (80 - 85F), if you can. Warm the boat hull as well. Warmer is better for foam, as you have about 45 seconds of mix time and them 4-5 minutes of expansion time. Then about 12 hours of cure time.

The 2 lb. spec on the foam most likely assumes at 80F. If the temperature of the liquid and contact surfaces is lower, the expansion will be less. At 50F you will get about 1/2 of the volume that you would expect.

So, with foam, warmer is better.

As far as ow much to pour, get a general idea (+/-) for the volume of each chamber in the hull. Then pour about 10-20% more than you figured so that the foam really wants to push its way out of the escape holes. you will need at least 2 holes per chamber space as far apart as practical. if you can, use the V shape of the hull to position the holes. Pour the foam in the deep spot of the chamber and let the expansion fill and force air out towards the shallower part of the chamber.

Gloves and respirator would be advisable. I believe one of the parts of the foam liquid is cyanide based. :eek:

dezmond

tpenfield Thanks for the tips. How much liquid would I need is the biggest question. Say I come up with 1.5 cubic feet of a cavity. How many oz’s would I need of liquid?

Thanks again.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I forget the formula I made but you can turn the volume needed into oz. to mix of ea. to fill a void. its a 50/50 ratio.

tpenfield

Staff member
For a 1.5 cubic foot fill . . .

(1.5 cu ft x 7.48 gallons/cu ft) / 30 expansion ratio = 0.374 gallons . . . or 48 ounces of liquid (24 oz of each part)

Factor up by 10-20% and . . . 28 ounces of each part.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Keep us posted
I am interested in how it expands and how temperature and humidity effect your expanded volume

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If you need temps up put some heat lamps in the area. Not sure what your pouring too.

dezmond

Good Morning all. Well a good weekend and week so far. Got busy with all kinds of things..

Got a coat of resin on my dash.. Then Christmas came :) My Dash panel was ready for pickup at the CNC Laser shop so off I went to get it. Boy oh boy does it look nice. And I actually did my drawing correct for size as everything fit with no mods :)

Yes I did change the layout and shape a bit. I didn't like how the Fish Finder was on the top as it was sticking out a lot farther than the gauges so I moved to the bottom. Much Much better now. I plan to use some button head bolts to secure the insert. I think I will pre drill my holes, enlarge the ones on the wood panel, fill with PB, re drill and tap in the PB. This way I have a strong mounting tab that I hope won't break or rot.

Foam pouring update coming up next :)

dezmond

Yesterday was the day to pour my foam........ I wanted to make sure I had everything ready. Friday I did all my calculations for fill volume. Marked all my holes and cavities so I knew which one needed the right amount of liquid.

I had a heating mat for growning plants I forgot about so I used that to help heat up the cans of foam. Also I cut some cardboard out and wrapped in blue packing tape. These were used to cap the holes after I poured the foam. They worked really well as the plastic didn't stick to the foam very much at all.

Got the temp up to 80 degrees in the garage with the help of 2 heaters. Was dry as well in there. No humidity that I could tell. Used my laser temp thingy to check the hull and the foam.. Here is what I got...

I was ready to pour!!! Great expansion as per my calculations, things went great for pour 1 & 2. I poured my 3rd hole and as soon as I did it. CRAP!!!! Wrong hole :( Mushroom and lot's of foam LOL.... It's all good though.. I can clean it up. I know that spot is filled good ;)

Couple hours later I had everything filled. From Bow to Stern I used a total of 2 Gallons of foam. None left over and only a very very small spot to fill (even if I need to) when I get my second batch in. I need the second batch to fill my bow and some in the stern and sidewalls just to get my flotation needed below the waterline.

Had to drill one more hole in the middle where my chases are so I could make sure it was filled properly.

You for sure want to have vent holes. DON'T TRY IT WITHOUT THEM! I can see how easy it would be to damage your hull or deck if you didn't have the venting...

All and all I am very happy with the turnout. today I will clean up my mess and get the pucks all put back in with PB and get ready to lay the glass on the deck. One more thing to soon be checked off the list!!! Then it will be getting the bow seating all figured out and built during this upcoming week I hope.

I will be back with more updates later today :)

Ta Ta
Dezi

Status
Not open for further replies.