Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
too tall. too wide, too much arch, on and on... I do kinda like it but it's not exactly what I had hoped for....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Work in foam, make a plug, then make a mold to make parts

You could make vacuum formed parts, however that can also be pricey

dezmond

Work in foam, make a plug, then make a mold to make parts

You could make vacuum formed parts, however that can also be pricey

Possibility yes.. It's more of a design I am trying to come up with.. A visual and then I can move forward with a build....

zool

Captain
You should be able to build something similar to this out of skinned plywood and shaped wood, to ur size needs

y4mEmeBjpixBFcOeYFXa2SwPq8w3MuYrZuX5ofWlDCrAOXagkjyMaRWmWGuR5Hq15JwByC24ASDR5ytaG_zo6eNHKWzr7ADUcRsnLXFBzH7PLB7fLTDyBI0ahGliUjuJEtbrR0j0zQCooyYGzxAGYogs383cNK6xw-0NjPKagR1usHnKXq3uSD49wriWl6_StOQTCNSH3rYEmwQsB7JaX_nlA

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
remember you not going to make it look like a 80k boat but you can make it look clean functional and nice and that's whats important ... unless you wanna spend that kinda money then id let others do it and pay payments:)

chevymaher

Commander
Start with the gauges. Shop and find a set you like. If you got a boat salvage near you go there and shop. Just cut the section of dash out. The backing plate to the gauges. And the surrounding glass. Take it all home. Snatch the wires as far back as you can to splice in.

This will be the most economical way to get a look that your looking for. Then once your home sit and stare trim it to fit a console. Then you just got to meld that to the floor.

tpenfield

Staff member
I am not much of a center console expert, so I'm not sure how much help I would be . . . :noidea:

I would recommend doing an image search of center consoles for similar sized boats. I can see why the 'curvey' design is not working out . . . not much in the way of a control panel for steering and instruments.

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is something I came up with . . . some curves, but more straight portions than what you had done originally.

You may be able to build the straight portions out of wood and the curves surfaces out of foam, then glass over the whole thing to make it strong and durable.

CC2.png
CC3.png
CC1.png

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry been away for a few days, What was in the boat originally? Any chance its curved and could be re-purposed? Or any junk yards you could steal a curved version from?

That's the thing with Solidworks, I can draw some pretty neat stuff that could be really expensive to make lol. I don't mind the above concept, you could really round the edges buy building your frame back from the edges and building a thin wood frame to then glass over to create the curve.

dezmond

Very nice :) when I can have something to visualize then it makes it so much easier to build :)

dezmond

You should be able to build something similar to this out of skinned plywood and shaped wood, to ur size needs

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/0jenpg.bn.files.1drv.com\/y4mEmeBjpixBFcOeYFXa2SwPq8w3MuYrZuX5ofWlDCrAOXagkjyMaRWmWGuR5Hq15JwByC24ASDR5ytaG_zo6eNHKWzr7ADUcRsnLXFBzH7PLB7fLTDyBI0ahGliUjuJEtbrR0j0zQCooyYGzxAGYogs383cNK6xw-0NjPKagR1usHnKXq3uSD49wriWl6_StOQTCNSH3rYEmwQsB7JaX_nlA?width=660&height=495&cropmode=none"**[/IMG2]

Love the curves.

dezmond

Hey Mike. I plan to build it up like a model plane would be. Stringers, bulkheads and such. Then sheet as much with thin ply and then resin and glass. So curves and extrusions and stuff are pretty easy to manipulate. I built a lot of modelsat my last job but always had a drawing, 3D model etc to work from. Give it a whirl. I don’t mind putting my time into something that will look sweet.

No boneyards around here for boats.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the thing with Solidworks, I can draw some pretty neat stuff that could be really expensive to make lol.

even with access to a laser and water jet, agreed that its easy to design stuff that is too expensive to build.

Hey Mike. I plan to build it up like a model plane would be. Stringers, bulkheads and such. Then sheet as much with thin ply and then resin and glass. So curves and extrusions and stuff are pretty easy to manipulate. I built a lot of modelsat my last job but always had a drawing, 3D model etc to work from. Give it a whirl. I don’t mind putting my time into something that will look sweet.

No boneyards around here for boats.

Dez, have you thought of making it like speaker enclosures. wire-frame, fabric stretched tight in the organic shape you want and then covered with resin, then multiple layers of FRP. I like to use old tee shirts vs fleece as it pulls easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8cz_5eP81U

dezmond

Hey Scott. Exactly how I plan to. That’s how I figure i can get the nice compound curves, etc. I have built a couple of enclosures in my younger days. That’s why I figure it won’t cost as much since I have done stuff like this in the past. I do have access to a laser so I can get most of my formers cut

dezmond

Yes. Looking good Ted. How about making the top arched side to side and from front to back?

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes. Looking good Ted. How about making the top arched side to side and from front to back?

As in more like a dome than a beveled box ? I 'could' do that, but realize with only 22" of width you may not have much space for instrumentation if you go with too many curves. Possibly, I could round off the sides a bit . . . I'll see what I can do. My 'curved surface' skills on the software that I use are not a strong point :rolleyes:

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Not as much time spent as tpenfield but heres my take... Take it easy, i only spent like 20 minutes on it lol.
The only way to really make something like this tho would be to shape it in foam and build a plug and mold. It COULD be done with skinning and shaping and fairing, but probably would be hard to get it just right that way.

Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.