Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow love the aircraft models.
I used to fly some RC models but really smaller.
no time anymore... new hobby as you said :)

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey Everyone.. New Update... Been a kinda busy week with the boat.. Also busy at work getting ready for the RV shows coming up. Lot's to do...

Well I got the last of the deck down. All went well. Also started to fill in the edges with PB (going through a ton of that). Almost done that part and then i can lay down the tabbing.. Plan on going one layer of 3" and one of 6" of 10oz cloth. I don't think I will need more than that considering how much PB I have used so far. And WOW it is solid!!!! I will probably just lay a coat of resin down on top to seal it and 1 layer of 6oz cloth.. Unless you guys think I should use more??

Pics...

Putting in the last sections of decking down...

After that I started to fill all the sides with PB.. No pics there. While I was waiting for that to cure, I started to think about the center console design.. Started out with paper and didn't have a lot of luck so I went to making a 1/4 scale model out of wood. Ya I'm OCD. I like to see what it will look like before I cut into my good ply... This is what I came up with.

After that, it was on to the cardboard template full size to see how it was going to look in the boat..

Boy was a great help :) Hot glued it together.

Yep he even made the noises ;) So that's where I am at today.. Already I know it's to wide. I don't have much room at all for moving to the bow from the back. So I can change that. Also the front seat is tooooooo high.. Need to come down to around 15" instead of 18" I think I will make the swoosh less on the back as well. It's a bit too much..

I would love to get some feedback from everyone please that is following along. I am kinda at a loss as to what I need to work on to change to finish, etc.

Thanks guys. I think I will head out and get the last few areas filled in and then on to sanding the sides and cleaning that up so I can start to build in my sidewalls, back seating, etc. Or ideas at least ;)

See ya later today :)

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks good, I don't think you need two layers of tabbing either especially with epoxy again. I only did one and I think most only do one for the deck to the hull. But I also ran my deck cover up the hull a little bit too so its kind of like 2 layers.

I will add to remember to keep in mind cushion thickness if you are going to put one on that front seat, I almost made that mistake.

What are you going to do for your gauges and steering wheel, will they be on top of the arc or on the front of the arc? Id maybe consider making it straight up after the tangent point of the arc to make gauge and accessory mounting easier.

Just some thoughts.. Keep it up

dezmond

Thanks guys. I will go with one layer
of tabbing. Probably 6 inch. Then I will do the entire deck with the 6iz cloth. Plan on using carpet as well so I should t have to go too crazy. I made the seat height lower. Dropped it to 14” to match the same as the seating up front. And I am eliminating most of the arch in the back as it won’t work too good for the steering and controls. I am keeping the arch on the top and I plan to extrude a piece on top to form into my helix 5 flush mount design. I gotta make something cool looking on this console. Was a good idea though that I made it out of a model and cardboard first. This way I eliminated the flaws and things that won’t work.

Already started cutting the wood wood for the final design and gluing it together. The exciting part is now. Get to see the real thing. Now I just have to pick a rotary steering setup and new top mount controls. Mmmmmmm. Which ones do I choose?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
proper motorboat noises are required when turning the imaginary wheel! as well as the invisible throttle:)

dezmond

Well.. I am at a loss guys.. I cannot for the life of me make this console build happen.. I am struggling pretty bad. I have tried to make a model (failed... WAAAAAAY to big) then cardboard, and then just start to build something, but whatever I try to do, I am not happy at all with it.. Here are some pics of what has been done...

I don't like it at all..

I was really hoping that I can ask for some help from you Solidworks, AutoDesk, 3DStudio, Old fashioned, etc. Guys on here would help me model something really sleek, smooth, etc for my layout on my boat.

Micky, Wood, tpenfield, kccassels, chevy, Mike, Scott, You know who you are :)

I can give some measurements of the area I can work with.. 16" width at the front to 22" at the back. Length can be 40, 46, 48" long.. Front seat height is 15"

I have the Farhia 6 gauge set, a Humminbird Helix 5 Fish Finder, Marine Radio and I plan to get a BossMarine Round gauge radio. A switch panel, and ignition key. Steering wheel is 14" dia and I am getting the SeaStar Xtreme Series top mount control.

I was originally wanting to build the console like you build a model airplane. Using Formers, bulkheads, kind of like this...

I was then going to wrap in stretchy cloth and coat in resin. Then buildup my thickness needed on the inside. The dash would look really cool with "extruded gauge pockets" and I was thinking of wanting the top of the console to arch back and then have the Fishfinder on top built into that..

I know I am asking a lot here. I am good at building things when I have a model or set of plans in front of me. Thats whay I came here as well so I can learn from what I see and told what to do ;)

Let me know if any or all of you want to help out.

Thanks again....

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok I will bite , why build one when so many make them already ready to drop in and probably cheaper and lighter then you could build ?with that statement out of the way i did find this pic that seemed to suit your needs , pm me for more details as its on another forum and i dont know if cross linking is allowed
profile-console-redrw-72-1.jpg

Last edited:

dezmond

ok I will bite , why build one when so many make them already ready to drop in and probably cheaper and lighter then you could build ? with that out of the way will see what i can come up with on my program :) with measurements you gave :)

Thanks... I know you can buy them. But then it is not something original and unique.. I have resin, cloth, wood, etc so most of it would just be my time and some $$$$ for paint, etc.

Again many thanks.... Maybe a bunch of us can create something cool and different. A group project ;)

dezmond

I guess as well I am not a big fan of square things.. I like round shapes, contours, etc. Kind of a center console with the shape of a regular dash? Know what I mean?? Kinda like these...

There are just too many different layouts... I don't mind if I have to sit most of the time as well. So it can be a shorter version?? I plan to make a T-Top as well.. My brother in law is an amazing tig welder with aluminum so he agreed to help me with that.

Again thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.