Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldrem

Commander
Really looking good! Should be able to withstand a herd of elephants when you're done :)

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
What everyone else said! Looking awesome!

If I could make one comment... since you didn't land your plywood seams on a bulkhead and you are using 1/2" ply, I would recomment doing something similar to me on your seams.

I used a router with a slotting bit to create a groove on the plywood edge. Then I glued in a thin piece of wood to create a "tongue" on the plywood, then on the next piece to go in, I routed a groove with the same slotted bit... that way it allows the seam to be spanned by a piece of wood making it essentially once piece.

Might not be necessary since you're using eeeeeeeeepoxy, but I was concerned about the joints cracking with 1/2" ply and no support under the seam.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the advice props. What I was thinking of doing was filling the cracks with PB. After that I thought about either 10oz glass or 17ozbiax on the whole deck. Even if I tabbed the joints with 6” and then my full sheet of cloth. I plan to carpet the deck for the kids and wife. So far there is only one small area above the chars where there is no support. All the other area have them. I planned to glue in a cleat at the back before I put the back section of deck on

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I did the cleat method for a couple floating seams when I put in my deck and the cleats worked great. I made sure the cleat provided at least a couple of inches on either side of the seam and I fastened with PB and screws. Even before glassing, the seam was very solid. If you didn’t know it was a floating seam, you’d never be able to tell by walking on it.

dezmond

Thanks. Glad to know about the cleats. I will make sure to have at least a couple inches on each side.

dezmond

Hey everyone. Looking for some advice/designs for my center console. Any help? I have about 24” wide by 36” long.

Thanks.
Dezi

zool

Captain
Hey Dez,

My Century console has a small footprint, but is layed out well, has 2 cup holders, direct view guages and glove compartment, storage underneath, and a seat in the front.

Looks like an easy fabrication too. These are sistership pics for reference, maybe you can get some ideas from it.

y4mQJb5lWH3syO-b7XSUHra55UUG2B7o3PQuSOSHtJYqxkC2GcxdtEMglQo9RjFLCLl6zVbfIOQZDau2DSDCNY9IOXfvlcs5LoXmL4qaM0vyyUBjkzIee7NFQ9EO5reVESpy54w72cgMx7ZCbFvVZ20-MQ6TfzzhzLiKVoC9IcFhDhsO2cqKNMYkdXPT7Hlas8h21uFNvfgpXsL3pKYI-IM6Q

y4mliemM1Lk4lQMinP14ufQMWNa5Eae0_Bqt5RWDuFlI_ViZTtD1erISCXZUMo__C1sZbRK-taRHKGX5rPeddq6vS42tQRUWR_8jkFJ1DVM0xR-tCLOzbN1BAX9ELhX8-_ltFGxYlSKUGK2gByI9k2DBUiefdWmt7fcg8nAYvfeg9lF-6aeGkt-y_pNY87-J1_f9-VALGE8MLu-oHpqG0Il7Q

dezmond

Thanks for the ideas guys :) I just put my last 2 pieces of decking down this morning. Very happy I don’t have to do anything under there anymore. Going to start to figure out the center console and swim deck today and maybe make some cardboard templates to see how it will look :) BTW. The chases worked really good. No sharp 90’s just nice gradual turns.

Be be back later to post some pics;)

dezmond

No no. Don’t show me that. That’s a cool design. I may have to modify. We shall see. I’m sketching up a design right now. Will post later this week and see what you guys think. One of my previous jobs was building models and using solid works. So it’s kinda nice to play and visually see something before I start to actually build it.

dezmond

That's what it's all about. Have fun!

Yes it is ;)

Thought I would show you guys what I used to do. We did a lot of aircraft models for a company in the USA.

Here is one of a 1/2 Size Waco YMF-5 Bi plane that we did.

And here is a Beaver on floats

And here is a P51 Mustang.

Everything was built from scratch. We used SolidWorks, Corel, Adobe and Photos for reference to build these. Was a lot of fun. I do miss it a lot. But need to pay the bills and look after the family. I do play around with some models once in a while for fun ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.