Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Oh ya and the bottom of my deck also has 2 layers of 10oz cloth layed up on it to help stiffen it up.

dezmond

Ok so I have 2 coats of ZC primer on the gas tank. Once dry am I allowed to coat with epoxy resin? Do I need to do anything else? And I figure the resin for coating with resin is to help seal the tank?

Thanks for the advice.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Oh ya and the bottom of my deck also has 2 layers of 10oz cloth layed up on it to help stiffen it up.

With 2 layers of cloth on the bottom, cloth on top, and foam underneath, I can't imagine you would need structural ribs... you said the widest span was about 16", didn't you? I think adding ribs underneath would be serious overkill unless you're mounting something really, really heavy in that spot. My 1/2" deck has glass on top and bottom and it was really solid even before foaming.

Chris51280

Ensign
what plastic strips are you using? I think that neoprene strips will work too, right? I know that some things should not be used because it is corrosive to AL.

dezmond

Just white plastic strips used for trim. I coated the tank with 2 coats of ZC primer. Then 2 coats of epoxy resin. There shouldnt
be any way that the aluminum will be exposed to anything. This method was done from a link that was shared on here.

dezmond

With 2 layers of cloth on the bottom, cloth on top, and foam underneath, I can't imagine you would need structural ribs... you said the widest span was about 16", didn't you? I think adding ribs underneath would be serious overkill unless you're mounting something really, really heavy in that spot. My 1/2" deck has glass on top and bottom and it was really solid even before foaming.

The area I’m concerned about is above the gas tank. I am a worry wart at times and just want to make sure it strong and I never have to re do it. I may put a couple of ribs above the tank just to be safe.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The area I’m concerned about is above the gas tank. I am a worry wart at times and just want to make sure it strong and I never have to re do it. I may put a couple of ribs above the tank just to be safe.

Well, it certainly won’t hurt, even if it may not be necessary!

chevymaher

Commander

My boat had/has ribs above the tank to support the floor. Easy to put in. The original bracing didnt even rot and it was bare wood.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
def run bracing across top of tank, sides can be foamed if you have sealed tank up with epoxy, i dont see that being a issue , as far as floor goes you should be fine if 16" is widest span .

dezmond

dezmond

Quick question. I used 3M 5200 yesterday morning to attach my plastic strips to the bottom of my tank. I didn’t grab the fast cure :(. Can I install my tank today? Since I won’t be seeing any water till spring time I hope it would be ok? It is tacky now and I figure it will cure while in the boat but I didn’t want to mess anything up if it is not bonded enough?

Thanks guys

chevymaher

Commander
Originally mine had nothing holding them to anything they were just laying under there. But that said I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive. That sheet isn't ever coming off. I got that kind of junk left over from the chevelle.autozone has stuff like that.

dezmond

Well a wonderful Sunday to you all ;)

Been a good few days working away at the boat again... Sad to have to go back to work tomorrow but I gotta pay bills and keep the wife happy ;)

So... Lot's of progress (to me at least). Started with the next deck panel. Got it cut and test fit and laid down some resin then 2 layers of 10oz cloth on the underside.

Then it was on to the gastank.. I cleaned all the gunk and turds and stuff off of it, sanded with 120 then shot 2 coats of ZC Primer. After that it got 2 good coats of epoxy resin to seal it up and protect it.

While that was curing, I got my last bulkhead installed. I put in a small drain for the gastank compartment in case. All sealed in with 3M 5200

After that was done, I got the plastic strips cut, sanded and attached to the bottom of the tank with 5200. Let that cure for at least 24 hours so I decided to get my motor mounts cut and glued with Titebond III and set for the night.

Got some more pics but will post a little later. I just laid in some PB along the edge of my deck up front so it will stay nice and flat. There is a bit of flex on the starboard side but that is because the chases are flexible. So just made a jig to hold them in place and all is good. Just need to wait for the PB to cure and then I can install the second section of deck over the tank...

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
very nice job you're moving fast :)

just sharing my night meditation about the rebuild:

for the tank we will install it the same way as you are except that I'm going to cut the strap in several section along its length so that if water or condensation ever gets there it will be drained to the bottom of the bilge and not sitting against the tank.

dezmond

very nice job you're moving fast :)

just sharing my night meditation about the rebuild:

for the tank we will install it the same way as you are except that I'm going to cut the strap in several section along its length so that if water or condensation ever gets there it will be drained to the bottom of the bilge and not sitting against the tank.

Works really good guys ;) Your coming along pretty good as well..I've been checking on ya's ;)

dezmond

Ok. Next update... Got my fillets done on the last bulkhead and tabbing done on the fore side where the gastank will sit... Also found a pretty good bubble on the hull so I ground it out and filled with PB. Easy fix :)

After that cured it way TIME to install the gastank. I grabbed some fast cure 3M 4200 and spewed it on the plastic strips and me and the boy set it in.. Worked good to have the extra set of hands... Then I put 2 coats of resin on the topside of the tank to make sure it was all sealed up... BTW this tank is in really good shape... Inside is just like new. I have one of those bore scope thingy's and checked it out. The sending unit is messed up but I planned on installing a new one anyways...

The boy was taking pics for my while I was getting things ready.. MAN I AM GETTING BALD!!!

After we installed the tank, I was checking for clearance to install a panel or ribs under the deck. NO GO :( There is a bit of a high spot in the middle of the tank and I was not going to widdle wood out to try and make it fit... Sooooooooooo I decided it was time for some more glass work on the underside of the deck panel... I measured out 2 pieces of 17oz biax and 1 piece of 10oz cloth to lay on the underside of the deck and in between the stringers so the panel would still lay flat with the others... I used the spreader method and bubble blaster roller for this and it went really well...

Here are some pics of the process. I tried to get one from every step...

First was to scuff up the area where I was going to lay the cloth. Then scrubbed with warm soapy water and scotch pad.

Cut my cloth while that dried

I like to roll it. Then I can start a good straight edge and unroll as I go..

Then I needed to mix up my resin and lay down a coat by itself.. I used a cheap throw away dollar store brush for this. Didn't want to waste my good chip brushes :)

Then I rolled out the first layer of 17oz biax. Used the spreader to lay it flat and get the bubbles out.

Remember work from the center out.

Then I poured the resin on top and started to work it in with the spreader. If I needed a bit in a few areas I did grab the brush to lay some on. Most of the time though I used the spreader.

Second layer of 17oz on. Same steps as above....

Then last layer of 10oz cloth was put on.. Barely needed any resin on top of this one. The spreader got a lot of the bubbles out during the process but the bubble blaster makes a big difference...

And then we are done! It is super strong now and will old up for a lifetime!!! Flat and bubble free....

After that cured for the nite, I got things ready this morning and installed the second section of the deck. Used TiteBond III again for this as I won't be going anywhere near it when it's time to fillet and tab.

Once the deck was in I wanted to get some PB laid down along the starboard side where the chases are running so they won't cause me any problems in the future. Just barely had enough room and no flex but I did use a brick to make sure it wouldn't move. A good layer laid down to cure for the night...

I will fill close to level my sides of the panels where they will connect to the sides of the hull over the next couple of days and once that is done, I can start the cleanup on the sides of the hull before I tab in. Remove the rest of the foam, carpet glue, a few pieces of wood, etc.. You know... I figured once the deck is in place and sealed I can then go to the upper half and get it finished.. Gives me a bit of variety ;)

Thanks all.. Any questions ask away, any advice, please let me know.

Ta Ta :)

chevymaher

Commander
MAN I AM GETTING BALD!!!

The politically correct thing to say is "I Got A Controlled Burn Going On Up Here"

I right with ya to. Stops growing where you want it to and migrates everywhere else you don't want it. Ears Nose neck Back LOL.

That is why we listen to the sirens call she don't care about all the small details.

Status
Not open for further replies.