Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello Everybody :)

It has been a while since I posted here... Sorry for the delay's. Christmas and parties have been keeping me away... I have been getting some stuff done and now I am getting a lot more time to be out in the garage.... Happy Happy Happy.

Well let's see.. Ummm Ya front stringer problems... I was able to get some plastic pieces of flat trim and clamp them to the sides of my stringers. Made it level with the back half then used some West System 404 and 406 with resin and squished it in there.

This worked really well. I am sure it grabbed on really good and I have excellent bond. So now I have some level stringers again.. Thanks guys for the tips and help and making sure I didn't just destroy them and start all over. It wasn't a bad process at all.

After that was done I tabbed the stringers in and then laid up a layer of 17oz biax and also a layer of 10oz cloth on each side. I want to make sure it is sealed up really good before I start to plumb my chases and pour foam. Then was the filling of the chines. Again 404, 406 and resin. No wood either, straigh PB mixed up. SOLID!!!! SEALED!!!!

Yes it's lumpy bumpy in some areas... I'm not trying to win a beauty contest for something I or anyone else will ever see again. It's under the deck.. I will pay more attention to detail above deck when that time comes :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Perfect fix! I did the same thing way back. the plastic contours to the shape then it pops off. lets you get a level top then work it. I think I used vinyl strips at .88 cnts for 8' pc.
Cool!

dezmond

Then I decided I needed to fill in the keel from bow to stern. Laid again some PB all the way down. Nice and flat and smooth...

Cut my first deck template from cardboard and test fit it. Looks pretty good..

I was a little concerned about the support in the front since I am eliminating the sky locker area and just filling with foam so I decided to add a center stringer and bulkhead just ahead where my chases will come up through the deck.. This will make it nice and sturdy for sure.

Both have their usual 17oz and 10oz laid on both sides. This time I left the tops square as I will be putting PB on the top to attach the deck. 2 coats of epoxy resin on the tops then PB will be more than enough I think.

So that's where I am at today.. I just used a 2x4 and used 1 screw in the bulkhead to make sure it level to the stringers and put some PB under it to "Stitch" it in. Once cured I will fill and fillet it. Then the front stringer will be installed and I will almost be ready to run my chases and start to install the deck. WOOT WOOT!!!!!

Kind of like this layout for the bow.

Might do something similar to this. Not too sure yet. I have been surfing around looking for some different ideas.. I will get you advice when that time comes....

Thanks again everyone for all your help!

dezmond

Perfect fix! I did the same thing way back. the plastic contours to the shape then it pops off. lets you get a level top then work it. I think I used vinyl strips at .88 cnts for 8' pc.
Cool!

They sure do pop right off.. It was nice and cheap as well. Also I can repurpose the strips for under my gas tank to keep it off the hull ;)

This thing is gonna be a tank when all done but not the weight..

I just finished my first 5 gallon pail of Epoxy and a 1 gallon can so I am around 6 1/2 gallons used so far and I have accomplished a fair bit. I figure 15 in total when all is done as I will be needing it for the interior side panels, seats, swim platform, center console etc... We shall see...

dezmond

Plastic tank right? I forget. Neoprene for aluminum.

Right now I have aluminum tank. It is in really good shape but it is original to the boat. I have been thinking about switching to plastic though... Moeller (spelling) has some nice options. And prices are not that bad. I may just put a new one in so I know it will last for my lifetime with the boat and many more!

That's why I have not installed the rear bulkhead yet as I don't know what to do about a tank :(

dezmond

Here read this. Good info.
https://www.yachtsurvey.com/fueltank.htm

For plastic make sure you get the clamping system moeller provides and allow for expansion.I like them but I had a lot of issues getting the fuel capacity I had and the space I had to work with.

Yup.. That's what I read before.. This is why I figured I could use plastic strips bonded to the tank and hull....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey I have some xtra neoprene laying around let me know if you want it. 3/8"" thick. Freebee.

dezmond

Hey guys. So thinking about the deck. Wondering what thickness of plywood I should get? 1/2” or 5/8” ? I plan to coat both sides with resin and then 10oz cloth.

Thoughts? I figure it’s getting close to that time :)

thanks

oldrem

Commander
Mine was originally 1/2" and felt spongy to me. I added supports and went 5/8" - rock solid now.

dezmond

5/8” it is :) I don’t have a wide boat. I believe 52” at widest and there is lots of
support in there. Picking it up today I hope. Tomorrow will be some templates and cutting and soaking in the first coat of resin.

Good day so far. Got stringers and bulkheads finally tanned and also laid 17oz and 10oz cloth along the middle compartments. Tomorrow I should be able to see how to run my chases :) fingers crossed.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
1/2 on mine but very little unsupported spanning.
feels very solid even before the foam.

Status
Not open for further replies.