Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpenfield

Staff member
Definitively not pictures of my garage . . . way too organized. When I do that to my work spaces, which is not all that often, the tidiness seems to last only about 1 week.

Kudos to you for being organized :thumb: :)

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hahahahhahaha. Ya I do this about every 6 months. This time I hope it stays clean for a little longer. Doubt it though🤪

dezmond

Well first big disappointment of the build :( went out tonight to get ready and bed my front stringers in. Get things dry setup and oh boy...... I made them too small in height. Like I have over an inch too short :(. Guess I did something real wrong when I measured and cut or? I have no idea. I think I have to re do the templates and go round 2. Really sucks since I put all that time and effort into these for nothing. I guess lesson learned. Measure lots, fit and re fit lots and then install and check again. Think I will call it a night and kick myself in the butt for this one.

I used carboard for a template plate and checked. Guess I will try a different way? Not sure right now. Oh well. Learn from your mistakes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Before you do all that why not just glue and nail a 1" strip to the tops. It won't effect the strength or anything else. If you have a table saw it will make quick work of it.

dezmond

No table saw. But I can try. It would be more on the bottom. Would that be ok as well? As long as I have a 1/4” gap from the hull
correct? Splice in pieces. Ya. I can do that.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmm is the contour on the bottom that far off? Not sure I understand the problem. If the contour doesn't fit just recut it and then add the amount needed to the top. Maybe I'm being the Old Dumb Okie again!!!:der:

Mechanicalmike08

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's how I fixed mine, I cut a strip and PL it in place on the stringer. After it was all glassed over no one would ever know.

Like WOG said if the contours right add it on top.

dezmond

Yep that’s correct guys. I gave myself a little timeout to cool off. Went back out and cut my little assembly apart. The bulkhead was attached to the two front stringers. I pb’d the bulkhead in since I know that is right. Once dry I can lay the stringers in and check again. Contour is correct yes. So I may just lay strips on top. I know, no one will ever know but I will. Since they aren’t to big, my OCD might make me cut them again. Maybe not though. See how it goes tomorrow night after work.

Thanks for the help help and support guys :)

dezmond

Uhmm is the contour on the bottom that far off? Not sure I understand the problem. If the contour doesn't fit just recut it and then add the amount needed to the top. Maybe I'm being the Old Dumb Okie again!!!:der:

Not at all WOG. I’m just overthinking it and making it more worse than it actually is. Will be a simple fix I am sure :) I shouldn’t of attached the stringers to the bulkhead like in the last photos I posted. It made things worse than they really are. I attached the stringers flush to the top of the bulkhead which threw things off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ahhh, Ok Gotcha. That is a bit more complicated. Another option is to cut some strips from the PINK foam panels from Lowe's and stick them under the stringers. Then glass and fillet them That would also work. The Glass tabbings carries the majority of the load anyway. since you're using epoxy they will for sure be strong enuf especially if you use 2 tabbings of 17oz fabric.

dezmond

Well been a crappy 2 weeks. Broke my wisdom tooth and cracked the molar beside it. Bad bad pain for a week before the dentist could pull the wisdom and fix the molar. Feeling better and ready to get back at it. Get the next 2 weeks off now from work so I’m sure I will get a fair bit of progress done.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh man that sounds like no fun.
glad you are on the mend Dez.
enjoy your time off
Merry Christmas and happy holidays 👍

dezmond

Got a good day of work today done on the hull.. Almost done tabbing... And also got to lay down a layer of 17oz biax and a layer of 10oz cloth on the back sides of the hull... Went really good.. I am sure the hull is gonna be pretty solid.. Tomorrow I plan to finish the tabbing, lay down some PB down the keel from front to back to make it nice and smooth and level, then I hope to lay in the rest of the 17oz and 10 oz in the middle of the hull. Then I can start to lay my chases for the center console and start to make my templates for my deck to go in....

Pics will be coming soon.. Sorry guys.. I didn't get very many today since I was working pretty hard and kinda forgot to grab some...

dezmond

Oh man that sounds like no fun.
glad you are on the mend Dez.
enjoy your time off
Merry Christmas and happy holidays 👍

Ya wasn't fun at all.. I was ready to slam my head against a wall from the pain... Much better today....

Merry Christmas to you as well :)

dezmond

Oh ya... Got my stringers figured out as well. I will show some pics of what I did.. I think they will be just fine ;)

chevymaher

Commander
Ya wasn't fun at all.. I was ready to slam my head against a wall from the pain... Much better today....

Merry Christmas to you as well :)
I just had one pulled it broke a year ago. I got another to come out after X Mas on the other side. I hear you on the tooth pain.

Merry Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.