Capri 1750 Complete Restore :) & 9 Months to do it too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
The plan is to do just that :) I figure dune i have the drill fixtures we just need to figure a way to incorporate a cutting/router template somehow .

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I laid the pb on both with an old toothed trowel (like you would use laying floor tile adhesive, worked well for me.
the 45deg cut on the edges works really well al least on a partial transom

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
My transom is substantially larger than yours Dez but although nerve wracking (do I have enough? Will it kick off before I get it lined up and clamped? Etc) it was a success.
Dez, I have partial holes showing, if I can help you with any measurements from mine let me know
Brian😄

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I put PB on both surfaces with a 1/4” notched trowel. I also drilled a number of 1/4” or 3/8” relief holes in the transom core to give any excess PB a place to go. Made clamping it down to 2” very easy.

dezmond

May be a dumb question. But could anyone give me some idea as to how much pb I should mix for gluing my my transom on? I plan to put it on both the transom and skin to make sure I have enough. Thanks. Plan is to do this early Saturday morning.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would estimate about a litre which will of course roughly double when thickened (should be plenty)
better to have a bit much than a bit too little 😉 that what my wife tells me lol

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Maybe a qt. and have all products readily available to you if you have to quick batch. Good Luck!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Make some practice times setting the transom. Mine was so big I added on handles to grip, lift and place. Also recruited help.

dezmond

Test runs for sure. Also I got the lady of the house to help me out. So should be good to
go :)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
kcassells and Redtruck12 have good ideas! Practice getting the transom in and setting the clamps, keeping in mind that it always is bit trickier to work with thickened resin on several surfaces. Having an extra set of hands (or two) really helps; ideally, you'd like to have at least one person inside the boat and one outside.

When I did mine, I mixed a quart or more of PB initially, and I premeasured everything needed for a second batch. I also made sure I didn't mix the resin too hot, so it kicked a bit more slowly to give me more time to work. I also had a pair of calipers handy, to measure the thickness of the transom as I clamped down (which helped me make sure I kept the thickness uniform and within Mercruiser's specs).

Good luck!

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mine is pretty close to double yours Dez and I am pretty sure 2 litres/quarts did mine.
i think as long as you have things pretty much flat 1litre thickened should be enough especially with the 45s and little to no fillets

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
2 quarts, but...Don't add hardener to the 2nd until you run out of the first. Have it already pre measured just don't mix it. And I'd for sure do a bit more grinding on the transom.

Last edited:

dezmond

Well grinding and sanding so far tonight. A few touch ups and I will be attaching the transom sometime tomorrow. Took all of your advice and ground a fair bit more. Then sanded flat and smooth. Also scuffed and added a second coat of resin to the back of the transom. Earlier today I did full 45’s on the sides and top of the transom and put a good soak on them again. Nervous and excited for tomorrow. I have 4 clamps made up of 2x4’s and the wife’s help. Keep ya all posted.

Wish me luck ;)

dezmond

So another silly question. What’s my consistency goal for my pb when I am gluing the transom? Mayo? Peanut butter?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
uuuuhhhhh

Peanut Butter..... Hence the name

chevymaher

Commander
Mine was more like mayo. As long as it don't run down/off. it is perfect.

LOL I am getting good at making it now. Now the boat is done I make it as body filler on cars. Love the stuff.

dezmond

:facepalm: sorry. I thought there were different consistency’s of the “PB” mixture. Been reading too much stuff. Got all confuzzled.

I will smarten up.

Status
Not open for further replies.