Clearing an old bass boat

MASTER Brian

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Needless to say, most likely due to metal flake, my '86 ranger 373v is rough to touch and the luster is gone. It looks great when wet, is there a good way to bring this back?

I thought I've read in the past clear coat won't lady and that it likely would need gel reapplied. I've been talking with an auto repair friend and he thinks clear would be fine. Another friend says he knows someone that's cleared boats and they've lasted. I also read earlier DuPont's Imron will stick above the water line and done swear even below. All I want to spay is the upper deck and maybe the sides under. I'm planning on redoing the carpet so that'd be the time to do this.

I'm also curious if a mistake to spay it outdoors on a calm day. I might be able to gain access to a booth, but not positive. Being it's a 30+yr old boat I'm not looking for perfection as some of the striping is fading out into colors below and I don't plan to fix that, as it'd be a never ending chore, I'm just looking for better than dull and rough. I figure I could probably wetsand most issues in a clear out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
thousands of boats are sprayed outside every year

MASTER Brian

What's the reason for lack of success? Is it because the roughness will continue to come through our another reason?

I'm really not wanting to go solid color, though I have considered. I do prefer the flake I think. That said, I'm not sure I want to tackle an entire paint job or reflake.

chevymaher

Commander
Problem is the color change due to the oxidation. And originally it did not have nearly enough clear on it. To return the color it need sanded. Do that and you will knock off the metal flake. Clearing it will remove the dryness and return the color to a certain degree. Trust me I do it for friends ragged things all the time.

It isn't perfect but it is a billion times better than it was. Shiney and close to original color. If you were here I could show you on a truck I did a before and after. You would say oh hell yea do that. I paint all the time and got the tools we could take a small area of the worst. And hit it with some clear after i sanded it enough to let it soak into what is there.

I have fixes like that lasting over 5 years so far. And not even the same type of paint. Clear over enamel and it looks like a million dollars.

Take a hour or 2 for me to prep and mask paint it. Or a month to do it right. Making it look good a while is a acceptable option for alot of people. Your going down the river not to a car show. You are the only one got to be happy.

Get a 3000 spnge sand a little spot stop it if is knocking the flake off. Hit it with prep all de greaser. Spray a tiny spot and decide for yourself if you are happy with it.

MASTER Brian

Question, I have varying degrees of paint guns. One that is a nice develbis(sp?) And I've i bought at harbor freight for small jobs that actually had great reviews and seems to spray nicely. My expensive gun will need a very very thorough cleaning because it was loaned out and not half with the last but bit i tried spraying, hence the HF gun.

I guess the question is do I buy something like the imron or would a spray can of enamel do the trick? Reason I think of the spray cab is because it would be an easy easy test and if good, clear can seemingly be polished and likely hide a blend, especially in a cut up boat like a bass boat where there is only 6" or so of gunwale over most of the boat. Maybe, the spray enamel for the test, Schiff and then imron or something similar.

I polished it with some rv stuff I've which requires a wet sand and buff and color was great and slickish for a year.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the size of the flake the HF gun might work for shooting flake. It has a 1.4mm tip. Flake requires from 1.2 to 2.0mm again depends on Flake size. Boats usually use the Larger size flake soooo 1.8-2.0 would be needed. You can modify the tip on the HF gun by oversized drilling of the tip if you're careful.

MASTER Brian

I doubt I shoot more flake, thinking of just clearing it. I'll have to look out back over. Hmmm

dabrackmaster

Seaman
This is after wet sanding from 180 up to 1000, buffed with rubbing compound. I'm not done but I'd say it's getting there. Once you've got it like this, then use your prep to remove wax and contaminants and clear that sucker!

Attachments

• photo298906.jpg
    photo298906.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1