Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
Mid-morning update . . .

it has been about 2 hours since I began the infusion and the resin is starting to kick

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2303.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	10715910
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2304.jpg Views:	1 Size:	140.4 KB ID:	10715911 .
It looks like I got about 99% coverage as a few of the dry spots have filled in a bit more. With the resin now starting to kick, I think I'll be left with a few places to touch up by hand after I remove the bagging material.

Here are a few pics of the dry spots. . . .

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2301.jpg Views:	1 Size:	211.7 KB ID:	10715913

An interesting thing is that I was only able to maintain about 5 inHg of vacuum throughout the infusion. I'm not sure if it is because the pump is not strong enough for a mold of this size, or if there is a slight leak in the bagging material. I did check for air leaks yesterday and found a couple, but there may have been 1 or 2 more :noidea:
Click image for larger version  Name:	image_309428.jpg Views:	1 Size:	149.9 KB ID:	10715916 .
However, 5 inHg seemed to be OK.

Next steps will be to. . .

Let the resin cure
De-bag
Fix dry spots
Add a layer or 2 of glass as needed
Add stiffeners
Separate the mold from the plug

Attachments

• IMG_2301.jpg
    IMG_2301.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2302.jpg
    IMG_2302.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2305.jpg
    IMG_2305.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I pulled the plastic off of the mold and touched up the dry patches.
IMG_2312.jpg
Now, as it continues to cure, I can figure out some stiffeners and bracing.

BTW - I tested the pump and it can pull 30 inHg of vacuum. So there must have been a small leak in the bag.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Very very nice.. Looking forward to see when you pull the plug from the mold ;)

sopwithcamel74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just found this one a few days ago, and as of this moment I'm all caught up.

Ambitious plan, calculated and meticulous approach... And community supported. This is fantastic - along for the ride, wishing you the very best of results!

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, overall, a good weekend, getting the infusion done successfully and fixing the vacuum pump :thumb:

I'm not sure what 'Plan B' would have been,if the infusion had failed.

On Sunday, I added a layer of CSM and 24 oz WR in a few places where the glass layering was thin. Then added some stiffeners along the front and back edges, as well as the step-down area. I did not do the more elaborate wood bracing that I had originally planned. . . . I didn't think it would be needed. So, I just used some cardboard fiber 'L' stock rails that I had and covered them with 24 oz WR.

I'll be pulling the mold off of the plug the first weekend of April. So, the resin should be well cured.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I'll be ordering more infusion supplies and the Formula color match gelcoat over the next few days.

I plan on using the 'Stretchelon 800' bagging film instead of the regular bagging film that I used for the mold infusion. The pleats and wrinkles in the bag trapped some resin, so the cured surface had all sorts of irregularities. The Stretchelon material strretches by about 4X which allows it to conform to the shapes of the mold without pleats or wrinkles.

Also need more peel ply and flow media.

I do have a life-time supply of TBC. . . PM me if interested. :)

Also, I found a source for Formula color matched gelcoat on the west coast. Not sure how well it will match the 22 year old gelcoat of the boat, but I figure it is better than using just a generic white color.

Looks like I'll be working on the platform most weekends in April-May. I got the 'Honey-Do' list whittled down a bit, having split my weekends over the winter being a carpenter/handyman one weekend, then a fiberglass fabricator the next :rolleyes:

Game Plan looks like:

April 6-7: Pull mold from main plug, inspect mold, touch-up mold

April 13-14: Apply Gelcoat to molds (hatches & platform), layout initial glass layers, infuse molds.

April 19-21: Long weekend :thumb: . . . Layout core material, resin/glass in the core, layout outer glass layers, infuse outer glass layers.

April 27-28: Install rubrail backing and additional structural pieces

May 4-5: Pull platform from mold :)

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I want a pic of Ted exhausted and having a beer on the final product hanging off his boat

tpenfield if you cant get the "factory" gel to match, many gel suppliers will match colors. however being a bolt-on piece, you could technically be a shade off and not notice. being in the white boat business, there is no such thing as white.....

tpenfield

Staff member
I want a pic of Ted exhausted and having a beer on the final product hanging off his boat

tpenfield if you cant get the "factory" gel to match, many gel suppliers will match colors. however being a bolt-on piece, you could technically be a shade off and not notice. being in the white boat business, there is no such thing as white.....

Yes, I just got off the phone with the folks at the gelcoat company. The 'white' actually has a hint of green to it. :) I should have a gallon of it in about 1 week's time.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Simply amazing work and craftsmanship sir! You really should see if there’s a market to sell a few. I mean, you’ll have he mold. :lol:

tpenfield

Staff member
Simply amazing work and craftsmanship sir! You really should see if there’s a market to sell a few. I mean, you’ll have he mold. :lol:

I probably could, if I wanted to make a few of them just to earn back some cash. Not sure how 'product liability' would work in that regard though . . . :noidea:

The cost of a second platform would be about . . . $1,500 in materials and supplies. Probably would have to sell it for quite a bit to make it worthwhile.

tpenfield

Staff member
Pulling the Mold from the Plug . . .

This weekend my plan is to pull the mold off of the plug and take care of any imperfections, getting it ready for the platform infusion next weekend.

Saturday mid-day update:

The mold is putting up a fight :rolleyes:

I have got the forward portion of the mold separated, but the aft portion is still hanging on tight. I have been able to lift the forward lip of the mold 2-3", but the pylon areas don't seem to want to give it up. Right now, I am heating the pylon areas to see if that helps.
IMG_2357.JPG
IMG_2359.JPG
Most of the perimeter has been separated from the flange using wedges, etc. I was thinking if I can get the forward lip raised a little bit more, I could stuff an inner tube in the gap and pump it up to break more of the mold loose. . . just don't want to put too much pressure on any one area.

I'm open to any ideas :noidea:

Attachments

• IMG_2358.JPG
    IMG_2358.JPG
    177.8 KB · Views: 0