Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, do you think a simple pump-up garden sprayer and ball-valve could operate as a pressure pot?

I dont know, however its a thought

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chapin-...nd-Home-Project-Sprayer-20002-20002/301459877
chapin-sprayers-20002-64_1000.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I was thinking you pick up 5 or 6 of these, use them as the resin pot, then throw away when done. first practice on a hatch.

tpenfield

Staff member
I could do 2 pump sprayers for the infusion of the mold and 3 more for the infusion of the platform. I'm good with the hatch molds as they are albeit with a bit of touch-up.. For the hatch parts, considering that they are small and coming from female molds, I think I can just put the cloth in place, pour in the resin and vacuum bag them . . . no infusion.

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, 40 sq. ft x 3 layers, so 120 sq ft. . . . not something you can lay out and wet out in 5 minutes and then set up a vacuum bag in a few more minutes before the resin sets up.

I figure that I need to infuse about 3-4 gallons of resin in about 5 minutes, then take another 5 minutes working any issues before the resin gels up.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just checking my material estimates on the platform mold . . .

These online calculators are pretty handy. I plan on using 3 layers of 1.5 oz CSM, which should yield me about 1/8" thick glass.

mold-resin-glass1.png
I'll be using the 50" wide mat. I noticed that the catalyst calculation is for the resin and gelcoat combined. I currently have 4.25 gallons of poly resin left, so it should be enough to do the mold and associated stiffeners.

One thing that I am noticing is that with vacuum infusion, I am using less resin than the calculators indicate. On the second hatch mold, the resin calc was for 40 oz of resin. The mold was pretty much done with about 1/3 of the resin left . . . which hardened in the bucket right before my eyes :eek: :facepalm:

fishrdan

Admiral
Been lurking on your progress from the beginning, heck of a project! I'm not an expert on vacuum bagging, never done it, but a couple of thoughts.

What are you using as a source of vacuum? I see a shop vac in the back ground, is that it? I would think you'll need a better source for vacuum, a real vacuum pump. I've borrowed one from the local chain auto parts store for car AC work, though not sure it would have the capacity for the platform, and I wouldn't tell them you're using it for polyresin vacuum bagging...

Infusion and vacuum at the same time, I think that would be a disaster, unless you have some way to accurately control to pressure and cut it off when needed. Again, never done bagging, but that's just my perception.

Using the wrong viscosity of resin might be a stumbling block. Any option to return what you haven't used and get a thinner resin?

tpenfield

Staff member
I just realized something . . . If I use the pump buckets that Scott suggested, and considering that the mold will be fully enclosed in plastic, there will be little, if any fumes in the air. :)

This could become an eco-friendly project :thumb: :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Been lurking on your progress from the beginning, heck of a project! I'm not an expert on vacuum bagging, never done it, but a couple of thoughts.

What are you using as a source of vacuum? I see a shop vac in the back ground, is that it? I would think you'll need a better source for vacuum, a real vacuum pump. I've borrowed one from the local chain auto parts store for car AC work, though not sure it would have the capacity for the platform, and I wouldn't tell them you're using it for polyresin vacuum bagging...

Infusion and vacuum at the same time, I think that would be a disaster, unless you have some way to accurately control to pressure and cut it off when needed. Again, never done bagging, but that's just my perception.

Using the wrong viscosity of resin might be a stumbling block. Any option to return what you haven't used and get a thinner resin?

I am using a shop vac for the vacuum. It seems to work fine . . . I take the vacuum tube and insert into the hose of the vacuum, so the shop vacuum is pulling external air as well. I can regulate the pressure by how far I put the vacuum tube into the hose of the shop vac.

I supposed I could get a vacuum gauge to see what the internal pressure drop is. I figure if I get down to about 1/2 an atmosphere (7 psi) it should be good. I won't be doing the platform mold for a couple of weeks, so I can do some testing and check out some options.

A bigger challenge with pieces of this size is ensuring no air leaks in the bagging material and related seal.

The only other vacuum bagging project that I have done was the fiberglass pram dinghy that I made back in 2011. I tend to go through a few shop vacs :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
thin resin i bet problem will be solved,

I have also come to realize that gel coats need at least 2% catalyst, otherwise it sits there and laughs at you. :rolleyes:
^^ true story! i watched Gel coat for a day once cause i was worried about heat and went 1% now i don't even bother going under 2% and still it takes off when it decides too lol.

tpenfield

Staff member
I found a vacuum pump that has very good ratings and seems to pull about 25-30 Hg according to the reviews. It seems to fall within the spec's recommended on the fiberglass web sites, in terms of capacity, etc. for this size of job.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vacuumpump.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.4 KB ID:	10704801

I have this pump, some extra oil, and a gauge on order for around $110 . So, it seems worth it to get this for the project.

This should be a lot better vacuum, and give the shop vac a rest :)

Thanks fishrdan for the suggestion.

tpenfield

Staff member
thin resin i bet problem will be solved,

I have also come to realize that gel coats need at least 2% catalyst, otherwise it sits there and laughs at you. :rolleyes:
^^ true story! i watched Gel coat for a day once cause i was worried about heat and went 1% now i don't even bother going under 2% and still it takes off when it decides too lol.

Yes, one of the bottles of catalyst that I have states. . . " 1.5% for polyester and VE resins, 2% for gelcoats "

tpenfield

Staff member
I also ordered a viscosity measuring cup and a pint of styrene resin thinner. You can't really thin the resin much without adverse effects, but maybe 3-5% would be the limit. I also understand that the VE resin is thinner than poly resin . . . we shall see. From what I have been able to research, these resins have about 35% styrene content.

The credit card is getting a work-out and is becoming exhausted. :rolleyes:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Ted,

one of these rubber caps fits perfectly over the hose from a shop vac. then drill a few holes in it and you can have multiple vacuum tubes.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-in-PVC-DWV-Flexible-Cap-PQC-102/100372303

caps-pqc-102-64_1000.jpg

A shop vac is good for an initial high-volume evacuation of air, however will be limited in how low of a vacuum it can pull before the fan stalls. the vac pump will draw down significantly more

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I found a vacuum pump that has very good ratings and seems to pull about 25-30 Hg according to the reviews. It seems to fall within the spec's recommended on the fiberglass web sites, in terms of capacity, etc. for this size of job.

I have this pump, some extra oil, and a gauge on order for around $110 . So, it seems worth it to get this for the project.

This should be a lot better vacuum, and give the shop vac a rest :)

Thanks fishrdan for the suggestion.

I have a similar vac pump, not to expensive either. They work well. I wouldn't even think about using a shop vac for infusion. I've tested a few runs with it on a small scale, it worked well.

tpenfield

Staff member
The idea of pressurizing the resin to force it into the vacuum bag/mold has got me thinking . . . Under vacuum, one of the things that works against the resin flow, is the compression of the fibers as a result of the vacuum. So the resin flows only at the rate at which the cloth/mat can absorb it.

I am wondering how a process modification would work, where the vacuum is reduced or nearly eliminated for a couple of minutes, while the resin is pumped under pressure into the mold, then once the resin has been injected, the vacuum is re-applied to force the resin throughout the mold area. Not sure if that will work . . . perhaps I can do some research to see if anyone has tried variations of the common vacuum/infusion theme. :noidea:

Just thinking out load . . . I could always try it on the ladder hatches to see if it will work.