Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
getting there..... most importantly, inquiring minds want to know how did you talk the admiral into allowing you to bring part of your project in the house?

tpenfield

Staff member
getting there..... most importantly, inquiring minds want to know how did you talk the admiral into allowing you to bring part of your project in the house?

It is the summer house and it is just the 2 of us. Could not do this in the summer though :rolleyes:

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Saturday Afternoon Update . . .

I sanded the areas of the plug that will be getting the non-skid material with 220 grit and then gave both the plug and the non-skid undersides a good wipe with acetone.

Then I applied a thin layer of epoxy to both the plug surface and the non-skid underside. Set them in place, lined up the pattern then set up the vacuum bagging.

Here are a few pictures.

IMG_1912.jpg
Tomorrow looks like I can finish off the hatches. The plug is getting close, just a few more finishing touches.

Attachments

• IMG_1909.jpg
    IMG_1909.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1910.jpg
    IMG_1910.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 1

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Wow. Just wow! Very nice work :). It’s a great feeling to build something from nothing. Your going to have a beautiful swim platform when all is done. Can’t wait to see the finished product :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Another update for today . . .

I took the bagging off, cleaned up the seepage areas and then re-bagged with a new piece of plastic. Looks like I got a better seal and everything is cleaned up.

I probably need to run this into the night.

IMG_1913.jpg

Time to watch NFL Wildcard Football :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Thanks for the kind words, everybody :thumb:

Still a bit more oozing with the new vacuum bag, but it is all good.

tpenfield

Staff member
Sunday AM Update . . .

I sanded the non-skid material to take the 'tops' off the pyramid pattern, so that it will approximate the pattern of the rest of the boat, and be a little easier on the bare feet. :)

Here is the regular 'pyramid' pattern . . .
IMG_1917.jpg
Here is the pattern with the tops sanded down a bit.
IMG_1916.jpg .
This pattern is pretty close to the non-skid pattern on the boat, except this pattern is a little larger 6/inch whereas the boat's pattern is 8/inch.

Lots (and lots) of sanding up for today . . . not sure if I will be done with the plug, but pretty close.

I'll be ordering fiberglass material over the next couple of weeks, and probably will be doing the mold making late January - early February. I 'think' I am on schedule :noidea:

zool

Captain
On or off schedule, its coming out great Ted!...

Maybe you can sell the plug when done to recoup some of the cost....

tpenfield

Staff member
Sunday mid-day update . . .

I sanded the hatches and put a finish coat of epoxy on them. Here are a couple of pictures . . .
IMG_1918.jpg
IMG_1919.jpg .
They will need a touch of finish sanding.

oldrem

Commander
Can't wait to see it all together. Really enjoying the journey.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Sunday mid-day update . . .

I sanded the hatches and put a finish coat of epoxy on them.....

They will need a touch of finish sanding.

you want your plugs to be as smooth as glass..... makes less work later on.

tpenfield

Staff member
Wow. Just wow! Very nice work :). It’s a great feeling to build something from nothing. You're going to have a beautiful swim platform when all is done. Can’t wait to see the finished product :)

Yes, this started out as a few sheets of 2" rigid foam insulation. I tipped the plug on end today to do some sanding, exposing the underside and all of the rough cut EPS.

IMG_1921.jpg

you want your plugs to be as smooth as glass..... makes less work later on.

Yes, I have been filling in slight imperfections and adding some epoxy/glass filler in areas so that I can sand it down some more.

tpenfield

Staff member
Happy Monday Everyone :)

I'll be ordering the fiberglass supplies later this week and am planning things out.

For the Mold I plan on ordering:

- Tooling gelcoat (maybe 1 gallon)

- 50" wide 2 oz CSM (probably about 15 yards to make 3 layers of CSM)

- 5 gallons of VE resin

I will probably make the mold from 3 layers of 2 oz. (Vacuum bagged, VARTM)

For the Piece itself that will be made from the mold, I plan on ordering:

- White Gelcoat (gallon)

- 5 yds of 2 oz CSM

- 15 yds of 1708 Biaxial stitched.

- 5 gallons of VE resin

I think I will make the platform itself with 1 layer of 2 oz CSM, followed by 2 layers of 1708. (Vacuum bagged, VARTM)

Question of the day . . .

??? Normally you would put down 3/4 oz CSM as the first layer over the gelcoat. Since I am using 2 oz CSM, wouldn't that suffice as the first layer in both cases (mold and part)?

I can't see buying 3/4 oz CSM when I am already buying 2 oz CSM.

Thoughts? :noidea:

tpenfield

Staff member
Also, another question that I don't seem to be able to get anything specific via Google search . . .

The reference information on resin usage for the 2 oz CSM is 42 oz of resin per 'yard' of 50" mat. So, 42 oz per 1800 Sq inches of 2 oz mat.

I assume that amount is for traditional hand layup. I am wondering what the value would be for vacuum infusion (presumably less) . . . just wondering how much less.

I plan on buying enough resin for traditional layup when making the mold, and then use what may be left over for the actual platform. The resin usage, using the data provided for 2 oz CSM indicates that I would need about 5 gallons. I am just wondering if I should expect to use only 4 gallons, or even 3 gallons with vacuum infusion :noidea:

Seems like a bit of a guessing game.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I would rather have an extra gallon of resin than be 1/2 gallon shy

buy the 5 gallon pail

same goes with gel

tpenfield

Staff member
I would rather have an extra gallon of resin than be 1/2 gallon shy

buy the 5 gallon pail

same goes with gel

Yes, I think the 5 gallon pails will be more economical and that amount should be adequate. One thing that I have to consider is the shipping cost. I believe the 5 gallon pails also carry a HAZMAT charge on top of the shipping cost.

There is a place in Springfield, MA that sells fiberglass materials about 2 hours drive from me , so maybe I make the drive to avoid shipping costs in total.

I'm going to try to get some of the supplies right here on iBoats, but probably have to get the heavy stuff locally. :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
shipping any resin has a hazmat cost.

you could come down here, there are a few fiberglass suppliers in the sunshine state ;D