Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

89 resorter

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would think that if you were able to incorporate an "L" shaped bracket with a gusset that you would be able to distribute the weight of the platform on the transom better, have the bracket offer a portion of the support and be able to raise the gusset closer to the platform. This is what my SeaRay 260 platform used and they only used one on each end of the platform. (please excuse my redneck CAD system. LOL).

IMG_1431.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1431.jpg
    IMG_1431.jpg
    340.6 KB · Views: 1

chevymaher

Commander
Mine has 4 braces on it but a single drive. I can measure where they are. Mine miss by a mile.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
thought it was worth mentioning.

your two outer kick braces can go outboard and may need to be a bit higher. the one in the center needs to be shorter and raise up.

That sure is some GREAT Info! Saved alot of real headaches down the line.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wish I could do something like that to put a pod out for my outboard.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I will throw my 2 cents worth in. When a person is going up the ladder the open hatches will be right in their face forcing them to step towards the center of the platform.By stepping towards the center that puts the grab rails out of reach.That seems awkward to me.

tpenfield

Staff member
I will throw my 2 cents worth in. When a person is going up the ladder the open hatches will be right in their face forcing them to step towards the center of the platform.By stepping towards the center that puts the grab rails out of reach.That seems awkward to me.

No worries, because . . . The hatches are closed when the ladders are deployed . . . the only time the hatches need to be opened is when you're deploying or stowing the ladders. All other times the hatches are closed, just like my current setup with the standard swim platform.

chevymaher

Commander
I finally came downstairs. 2 foot swim deck. 14 inches from transom and 10 inches down from deck. Maybe measuring up from outdrive is better.

tpenfield

Staff member
I have done some re-configuring for the struts and structure on the underside of the swim platform. Moving the outside struts to the far edge of the platform seems to do the trick for one direction of turning of the outdrive . . .
Click image for larger version  Name:	BravoTilt-8.png Views:	1 Size:	209.1 KB ID:	10681479
In order to provide enough tilt clearance, it looks like I need to reduce the height of the stiffeners underneath, in the area of the outdrives, as noted in orange.
Click image for larger version  Name:	BravoTilt-8B.png Views:	1 Size:	204.2 KB ID:	10681480
I had to pretty much move the center strut out of the way to clear the outdrive, to a point where it would have little leverage to support the center section. So, I way rethink the center section a bit and see if I can make it strong enough to only need to outer struts. :noidea:

image_304738.png

I'll get some better measurements over the holiday weekend, and hopefully can finalize the design. I might even have some time to do some sanding on the first coat of epoxy.

Attachments

• BravoTilt-8B.png
    BravoTilt-8B.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
I finally came downstairs. 2 foot swim deck. 14 inches from transom and 10 inches down from deck. Maybe measuring up from outdrive is better.

Can you post a picture, as that may help with my thinking about a solution. It seems that in a twin engine configuration, the outdrives can turn well past the centerline of the boat, and in doing so in a tilted position (which I do when navigating in shallow water) will hit anything along the centerline.

My engines/outdrives are spaced only 35" on center, which is pretty tight. The newer models have about 38" O.C spacing, which helps a bit.

chevymaher

Commander
Can you post a picture, as that may help with my thinking about a solution. It seems that in a twin engine configuration, the outdrives can turn well past the centerline of the boat, and in doing so in a tilted position (which I do when navigating in shallow water) will hit anything along the centerline.

My engines/outdrives are spaced only 35" on center, which is pretty tight. The newer models have about 38" O.C spacing, which helps a bit.

Sorry I was running my pie hole on the phone. And i have to come upstairs because the shop computer is primitive and wont reduce picture size.

Here is a pic and it is 12 1/2 inches to the side of the outdrive. Like i said mine clears it by miles.

Attachments

• photo304740.jpg
    photo304740.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
this is a good pic

Yes, that picture pretty much tells the story. The 'overlap' of the outdrive steering swing in the tilt positions indicates there is not any significant amount of room for a meaningful strut along the centerline of the transom.

On to plan 'B' for the center support . . . whatever plan 'B' is :)

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
there is room for a center strut. look at the model I sent you . there is a clear path, just whether or not it fits your design is another point.

tpenfield

Staff member
there is room for a center strut. look at the model I sent you . there is a clear path, just whether or not it fits your design is another point.

I'm having a little bit of trouble importing the model you sent. Maybe it is because I have the freebie version of Sketchup. (Sketchup Make 2017) there is an import extension, but that did not seem to work. I'll keep trying. there are options for other formats . . .

.dwg .dxf .3ds .dae .dem .ddf .ifc :noidea:

tpenfield

Staff member
I could not find a swim ladder in the 3D library, so I made my own. Here are a couple of images with the swim ladders deployed. No problem with the ladders clearing the outdrives :)
SwimPlatform2.png

One thing left to do will be to take some additional measurements of the boat. Fortunately, I left the outdrives on the boat, so I can do the tilt and turn thing to get some more precise dimensions.

Attachments

• SwimPlatform1.png
    SwimPlatform1.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 2

tpenfield

Staff member
heh...lots of great advice. And when your done it will simply work!:cool:

Yes, I appreciate the advice as I design a bit 'on-the-fly', and surely hope it works when done. :thumb:

I added the trim tabs to the transom in the model and made a few other enhancements. I wanted to be sure to take the trim tab locations into consideration in the final design. Tomorrow, I will be at the summer house to take a few measurements directly from the boat, just to verify the computer model. Here are that latest renderings . . .
Swimplatform4.png

Happy Thanksgiving everyone :)

Attachments

• Swimplatform3.png
    Swimplatform3.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 0

tpenfield

Staff member
just make sure its not extended out so far that it drags water :)

Yes, I thought about the potential for dragging as the boat comes onto plane. Not sure there is a good way to predict that. Maybe I can try to figure that into the computer model. :noidea: