Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
I am planning on having 2 swim ladders. ( 1 for the people and 1 for the dog ladder :) )

I bought 2 fold-out swim ladders and will be making matching hatches to conceal them. Here they are below, laid out for sizing, etc. I will cut out hatches and then make a recessed mounting base for the ladders.

IMG_1614.JPG

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, its starting to come to shape.....:D

Great idea on the dog ladder, however should that not be a ramp?

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, its starting to come to shape.....:D

Great idea on the dog ladder, however should that not be a ramp?

Yes, we have a ramp, but it needs to be attached to a ladder. When we use it, we continually have to attach and remove it, for people vs. dogs with our single ladder. Having 2 ladders on the ESP, we can dedicate one for the dog ramp.

DogRamp.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
our company web site is www.nautical-structures.com

however for a one-off you would hate to see the cost. at volume they are in the $2500 range for the mechanism alone, no platform. for a tender lift its in the $18k+ range.

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
This is looking really good... thinking you might want to consider using epoxy with a layer of cloth before you do much more fairing... I'd be afraid all you hard work could get ruined by cracking.. you're gonna have to epoxy at some point anyways, why not just do it sooner and fair on top instead of under...
just a thought..
:mad-new:

tpenfield

Staff member
This is looking really good... thinking you might want to consider using epoxy with a layer of cloth before you do much more fairing... I'd be afraid all you hard work could get ruined by cracking.. you're gonna have to epoxy at some point anyways, why not just do it sooner and fair on top instead of under...
just a thought..
:mad-new:

Yes, probably right. I won't be back at it for a couple of weeks. So, maybe I'll order some cloth and epoxy.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update:

I have ordered some epoxy & glass material so that I have it ready to go when I work on the swim platform 'plug' . I probably won't do any work on it until the weekend of Nov 17-18th.

Here is what I ordered

2 Gallon kit of epoxy - medium cure rate
Gray pigment
6 oz. cloth - 8 yards (38" width)
Microsphere glass filler (I usually add some of this to the epoxy to give it some substance and sand-ability)

As far as prep work, I still need to make the recessed areas and hatch plugs for the swim ladders, but that should not take too long.

tpenfield

Staff member
found ya , ride'in along:)

OK, thought we had lost you for a while. :)

My fiberglass, epoxy resin, and tools all arrived, so I am good to go for the weekend.

The plan for Saturday is to . . .

1) Cut out the insets for the swim ladders and form the hatches to cover them.

2) Install a 'bottom rim' around the stern edge of the plug. This will serve as a mounting area for rubrail in the finished platform.

3) Final shaping/sanding

Then Sunday . . .

1) Apply epoxy and glass to the plug :)

Monday, it will be back to work :rolleyes:

I think I'll get some time in over the long Thanksgiving weekend to do some sanding/finish work on the plug.

I'll have to get some 'non-skid' material ( :noidea: ) at that point to finish off the plug.

Then it is onto making the mold from the plug.

tpenfield

Staff member
Update:

I made the inset sections for the swim ladders today, and will do some epoxy & glassing tomorrow . . . hopefully.

Here are the inset sections cut into the stern portion of the platform .
IMG_1766.jpg .
The ladder bracket portions will protrude out of the hatches slightly, so there will be cut-outs in the hatches once they are fabricated.
I need to do some more sanding on the final coats of joint compound. Not sure how much epoxy work I'll get done tomorrow, but we shall see. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1762.jpg
    IMG_1762.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 3

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Awesome work as usual. Can’t wait to see some glass on there :)