Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
you know that most of the electronic stuff in BMW's die.

also, check FL our for CPO BMW and Mercs..... plenty of CPO lease return vehicles down here.

I did not know that about BMW's.

I have checked out the Florida dealers as well as the ones in the northeast, but few if any cars have the Driver Assistance pkg. It seems that I'm looking for a car that does not exist.

It looks like I can get a BMW with a bit more tech stuff, eventhough the car does not have 'everything'. I'd prefer to get a Mercedes, but don't want to end up short on tech.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm the opposite as all the "tech" is the first to die on vehicles

I would prefer manual windows, manual transmission, manual HVAC, etc. todays cars if there is a glitch with the BCU, then the ECU wont start the car. not to mention a glitch in the shift programming on the TCU and you are rebuilding transmissions at an alarming rate.

check the re-seller lots along the sun-coast from Naples up to Tampa. plenty of BMW, Merc, Audi, Lexus, etc. as they get pushed hard with incentives and the rich and fake rich all want to have them.... so most are leased, and after 3 years end up on the lots. even the you you buy here, you pay here lots are full of Mercedes and BMW's

tpenfield

Staff member
Update . . .

I have the foam 'blocks' all filled and shaped . . .

IMG_2559.JPG

Setting up the infusion . . .

IMG_2563.JPG

I have both vacuum pumps going. There were a few leaks and having the extra volume helped find them. I'll probably wait until Sunday AM to infuse the resin.

Attachments

• IMG_2554.JPG
    IMG_2554.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Final Fiberglassing . . .

There was a channel around the perimeter of the slab portion of the platform that I needed to fill. I used woven roving strands to fill the void, along with some resin and 1708 over it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2564.JPG Views:	1 Size:	215.5 KB ID:	10745370

In other news, I may be looking at a BMW 5-series tomorrow. Couldn't seem to find an E-class with enough goodies and in the right color combination. So, I may be switching brands :)

Attachments

• IMG_2564.JPG
    IMG_2564.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2567.JPG
    IMG_2567.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2577.JPG
    IMG_2577.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 5

tpenfield

Staff member
Motor vehicle update . . .

I bought the BMW. It has pretty much all the goodies. Probably will take while to figure it all out :rolleyes: :)

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Good luck with the BMW.... On a different note, I have a pic of your 328 being built....
0513191517_resized.jpg

tpenfield

Staff member
Question for the membership here . . .

Part of the installation 'process' is to adhere the 'slab' portion of the extended swim platform to the existing swim deck. I am thinking either 3M 5200 (permanent) or 4200 (semi-permanent) for the adhesive.

Just wonder what the thoughts are between the 2 adhesives . . . or any other types of adhesive.

BTW - There are 2 thu-bolts molded in at the corners of the 'slab' which will go through the existing swim deck and fasten from inside the engine bay.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
4000 UV. more than strong enough and wont break down from sunlight like 5200 does.

tpenfield

Staff member
De-Molding Update . . .

I got the platform out of the mold this AM. As was the case with pulling the mold from the plug, the platform pretty much trashed the mold. Overall results look OK, although a few 'dry' spots that I will want to touch up with some resin & gelcoat.

Here are a few first look pictures. The green is from the PVA coating.

IMG_2598.jpg
BMW 528i XDrive

Beige Leather interior
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Driver Assistance Package
Driver Assistance Plus Package
Soft-close Doors
Multi-contour Seats

. . . still reading through the Owner's Manual :noidea: :)

Attachments

• IMG_2604.JPG
    IMG_2604.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2605.JPG
    IMG_2605.JPG
    209.9 KB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Staff member
looking good Ted.... I would offer to help on the gel repair, however I am elbow deep in that myself...... plus the 1000 miles is a bit far

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Wow! Platform looks as close to factory made as you can get ! Outstanding work !
Nice new ride also !

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks great! It's been fun to watch this process. Can't wait to see it mounted up on your boat.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Wow! That is really impressive. I can't wait to see it mounted. How much would you guess it weighs at this point?

tpenfield

Staff member
Update . . .

I have bee taking some vacation days to keep the progress on the platform . . . I'm also pretty much max'ed out on my vacation accrual, so I have to take some days or loose them.

Anyway, today was lots and lots of measuring and some cutting.

I was about 3/4" off on my curvature of the extended platform vs. the built-in platform, the ESP being the softer curve. So, I had to allow a little extra room where the slab portion of the ESP goes over the built-in platform. Anyway, I got the measurements all figured out and cut the holes in the existing deck for the forward set of bolts.

Here is the port side. . .

IMG_2611.JPG .

I trimmed and fitted the hatches to their place on the platform. So, here is where I'm at. . .
IMG_2616B.jpg .
The platform as you see it weighs 110 lbs. , which is a bit lighter than I was predicting, but quite happy with that number. With the mounting hardware, the handles, and pop-out cleats, it might add another 15-20 lbs.

:)

I might take Friday off this week and have a friend who is nearby come over and give me a hand lifting the platform onto the boat.

Attachments

• IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 1