Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
Here is my thinking (wire frame drawing) of a box structure for the aft section of the platform. It would be a bit easier if not for the 4 locations where the ladders have to attach (thru-bolts)

Click image for larger version  Name:	AftStructure103.png Views:	1 Size:	642.2 KB ID:	10735006
My plan is to create these shapes with 1/2" foam (urethane) that I have on hand and then fill them with the 2# pour-in foam that I have. Afterwards, I'll round the corners and do a little shaping, then glass it over.

Ideally, this would be good for vacuum bagging or infusion. Just a difficult set of shapes to do this though . . .

Any thoughts? :noidea:

I've got a couple of weeks to think about it, as I won't be back at it until later this month.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Ted, you could put in threaded anchor blocks out of stainless in the areas where the ladders need to go, then its all closed off.

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, you could put in threaded anchor blocks out of stainless in the areas where the ladders need to go, then its all closed off.

Good thought . . . I think I'd have to put some starboard in the hardware fastening areas so there is something substantial to 'grab' onto. Maybe I could use a stainless threaded insert instead of an anchor block. . . :noidea:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Im using 316L T-nuts in my interior pieces. https://www.mcmaster.com/#tee-nut-inserts/=4d4308e0aaa24006ac7e92851d226aeajvckdnqt

however in my gunwales I have some 316L flat bar that was drilled and tapped that is epoxied in place.

you will want a large bearing surface and a shape that wont twist out.

I would go with the stainless flat bar https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-flat-bar/=4d4308e0aaa24006ac7e92851d226aeajvckgqn3

make sure to either use tef-gel on the bolt threads or seal them with permatex #3

tpenfield

Staff member
My challenge is that I will not know the exact location of the holes (4 per ladder) until I go to fit the platform. Then it is a matter of marking the holes and drilling. Might be safer to plan on thru-bolts.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
or make sure there is enough foam to hide the drill-thru and tap from above when you locate the ladders

tpenfield

Staff member
I think I'll go with thru-bolts and not mess around with inserts. So the design will look something like this.
AftStructure105.jpg
I simplified the outer areas a bit.

I'm going to try to do resin infusion, or at least vacuum bag this, so I get good conformity to the irregular shapes.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I've pretty much convinced myself that a resin infusion would be best, considering the shape of the aft 'structure' that I have drawn out. I've got to order a few more supplies, but I have most of the vacuum infusion 'stuff' on hand.

I won't be back at it for a couple of weeks . . . I've got to make about a 20-hour trip/stay in Florida to bring the in-laws back north from their snow bird migration. Then the following weekend maybe a trip to NYC.

Time is flying by . . . going to be June before I know it. :rolleyes:

tpenfield

Staff member
Where in FL?

East Cost (WPB) - sorry. I'll get over to your side of the state at some point. I have family/friends in the Naples area.

I'm not sure on the itinerary, but I think we land at about 10:00 am and are on the road heading north @ 6:00 am the next morning. Just about enough time to pack the car and make sure all is good with the house. :rolleyes:

Sad thing is that there are 2 Cruisers 328 boats for sale in the area. Not sure the Admiral will be up for a quick 'shopping' trip . . . :noidea: :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
There ya go ! If you don’t mind smelling resin all the way home ..:D

tpenfield

Staff member
Heading North. . . Left WPB @ 5:45 am Saturday The car is packed to the gills. Good thing I wasn't planning on picking up any resin.

Spending Mother's Day in the car.

Next time working on the platform will be Memorial Day weekend.

tpenfield

Staff member
OK, it's been a couple of weeks . . . so time for a quick update.

I put together the 'skinning' for the rear portion of the platform . . .

IMG_2550.JPG

These will get filled with pour-in foam and then shaped.

Once it is all shaped, I will set up another infusion and put a layer of glass over . That should do it for the fiberglassing . . . maybe a few touch-up spots.

In other news . . .

I decided to get rid of my oldest car (2004 Explorer).

IMG_2552.JPG
It failed inspection and needs about $1K in brake work.

The Admiral said that I need to get a 4WD/AWD drive car for winter driving. My other car is NFG in the snow.

So, I've been Internet shopping for CPO Mercedes or BMW. Since I don't buy cars that often, i'm trying to get one with all the goodies, so it does not feel obsolete in a few years.

Busy times . . . :rolleyes:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you know that most of the electronic stuff in BMW's die.

also, check FL our for CPO BMW and Mercs..... plenty of CPO lease return vehicles down here.