Custom Fiberglass Extended Swim Platform

tpenfield

Staff member
Game plan for this coming weekend (Mar 8-10, 2019)

Friday Eve:

1) Mix TBC to a 10% solution w/ styrene

2) Gel time test of Poly and MEKP @ 2% + TBC @ 300 ppm (0.03%)

Saturday:

3) Gelcoat main platform plug

4) Run another infusion test w/ a thicker laminate and perforated peel ply.

5) 2nd coat of gelcoat on plug

Sunday:

6) Prepare glass and infusion materials for main platform mold infusion

7) Infuse main platform

8) Heat 'soak' platform after infusion to cure

The platform will then have a week or so to cure, as I will be back at work on Monday, then the weekend after, I can add some stiffeners and finally separate the mold from the plug.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Wow...……..I'll just be laying around. :eek:
Cool and exciting it is I say!

chevymaher

Commander
May be true. But when your waiting on parts and living vicariously through others restorations. It is a fix.

Looking good there. Me i am sweating a truck arrival LOL.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok so you will make another mold from this mold then that mold will be what you make your final part from?

tpenfield

Staff member
ok so you will make another mold from this mold then that mold will be what you make your final part from?

Close, but not quite. . . terminology differences.

This is the 'plug' not a mold. I will be making a mold from this plug and then the final part will be made from the mold.

plug -> mold -> part

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ermagawd i cant imagine what you will have invested after complete but eh it will look awesome :)

tpenfield

Staff member
TBC inhibitor test update . . .

I did a resin 'pot life' test on MEKP activated poly resin w/ 300 ppm TBC inhibitor, in similar fashion to the other tests that I did a couple of weeks ago.

The TBC inhibited resin started to gel at about 75 minutes and reached a temperature of 150 F at 120 minutes.

So, in summary

0.75 fl oz of resin for each sample starting temperature 55-57 F

2% MEKP gel @ 30 minutes, peak temperature 140+ F

2% MCP gel at 70 minutes, peak temperature 75 F

2% MEKP inhibited by TBC @ 300 ppm gel at 75 minutes, peak temperature 150 F

It looks like the TBC inhibited resin really kicks into gear after the 70 minute open time, where as the MCP activated resin had a similar open time, but did not generate nearly as much heat as the TBC/MEKP combination.

I'm not sure what is best . . . a slow low temperature cure . . . or a presumably faster and high temperature cure. :noidea:

At least I have 2 methods to achieve a 60+ minute working time with the resin.

tpenfield

Staff member
The resin hardner/inhibitor test in a picture . . .

Here are the samples from each of the three tests, showing the max temp (exotherm), the working time, and the hardner/inhibitor

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

It is interesting that the MEKP only sample cured a different color than the other 2 samples. The MCP is a combo catalyst/inhibitor (as I understand it), and the MEKP/TBC is 2 separate chemicals. The TBC is added to the resin, then the MEKP is used to activate the resin.

All of the samples cured to a good hardness, but the MCP took the longest to do so.

I'm inclined to use the MEKP/TBC combination as it gives the extended open time, then kicks into gear rapidly.

Last edited:

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Looks almost like the Chevy engine block color. I assume with all this work you will market this swim platform to others with same boat? You’ll have the mold!

tpenfield

Staff member
Looks almost like the Chevy engine block color. I assume with all this work you will market this swim platform to others with same boat? You’ll have the mold!

IDK . . . the materials alone are about $1K. If I get some interest from others with this boat, then maybe.

dezmond

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Looking really good. I can’t wait to see the mold. Oh the anticipation;)

tpenfield

Staff member
News Flash . . .

I sort of broke the vacuum pump :facepalm:

I ran another test piece, and wasn't paying attention . . . forgot to set up a resin catch pot . . . the pump ate some resin . . . needless to say it did'n't like it. :facepalm:

I have the pump in for emergency surgery, but I'm not sure it will make it :(

Problem being that I have the 2 coats of gelcoat on the plug and I should be adding resin/glass to it within about 24 hours. If the pump cannot be brought back to life, I'm trying to evaluate some options :noidea:

Hand lay-up ???

Lay-up, then vacuum bag (using shop vac) ???

Other ideas?