Help with bringing life back to badly oxidized metal flake on fish & ski boat!?

My husband and I just bought a 96 Stratos fish and ski boat - it was well maintained but spent its life on a lift with the sun beating down on one side resulting in the metal flake paint becoming faded or oxidized. Last night we just took some basic marine rubbing compound and messed with it and it did begin to smooth out the rough feeling it has but no luster or sheen coming back. What is the best way to fix this without repainting or gel coating? What products should we use? Wet sanding? Etc? The area has a the feel of sandpaper. In the pics you can see the teal metal flake in that area has turned more silver. The last picture is of the GOOD part and what it SHOULD look like.

Thanks in advance.

20180806_082713.jpg20180806_082657.jpg20180806_082650.jpg20180806_082705.jpg

chevymaher

Commander
Really there is nothing you can do. To get it to shine you got to sand and buff. Then the flake is coming out.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
usually the clear top coat erodes from UV (sunlight) and leaves behind the dull metal flake layer.

chevymaher

Commander
Me I would wipe it down real good with thinner and clear coat it. That will give you a bunch of years before you have to do something drastic.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I disagree with not being able to do anything with it. I have an '87 fish & ski with metal flake and it's also badly oxidized. 2000 or 3000 grit wet sandpaper did wonders, and mine had been left outside uncovered for who knows how many years. The picture attached is after 5 minutes with sandpaper, before really cleaning up or buffing well.

wet sand it with light pressure until it gets smooth. Then use a 8" or 10" orbital buffer and Meguiars Show Glaze #7.

You will be sanding down the top coat layer, but as long as you stop when it gets smooth, you should be ok. If you start feeling the flake, you've sanded too far.

Even if you decide to put another clear coat layer, you are going to want to sand it down smooth and get it as good as you can before throwing another layer of clear coat on top of it.

Attachments

• IMG_7847.JPG
    IMG_7847.JPG
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7845.JPG
    IMG_7845.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 0

dabrackmaster

Seaman
Check out the posts I commented on in this category. I've got a Stratos, was in way worse shape. Hope it will help. You can find them in my profile as well.