17 Ft. Bluefin Restoration started - in Oregon City

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gutthookd

Recruit
Good afternoon, all...

Newby here... not to boats or working on them, just to this site.

So here's my story... picked this thing up for nearly nuthin'... sort of follered me home
as boats keep doin'... already stripped nearly bare by another well-intentioned guy who
finally realized he wasn't going to (probably ever) go much further. Literally no info on
this little girl... compelling lines... does sort of remind me of early Starcraft and has both
good depth and width - very simple/uncomplicated lines. Might be their "Sportsman"
like an 86'ish.... Kind of "no frills'ish"... including that the signage on the side looked
almost "sprayed on" with a rattle can and stencil. I'm just sayin'... is all...

I have read quite a bit on a restoration project of a 17 foot "Fish and Ski"... lot of nice
pictures, but not very much detail - and Brunswick (who bought them) is nearly zero
help.... they haven't made anything like this in nearly forever... and apparently kept
no records - which is a little odd.

Three questions (for anyone who knows):

A) I have two holes in the hull I frankly do not understand - that look as if done by the
original manufacturer (measurements shown below are inside diameters)

One is in the stern - 1-3/8" on the opposite side of the transom divider from the
drain plug... perfect round hole - and all the indications of being purposeful... but
for what exactly ??

The other is about 4-5 feet up from the transom right of the center line (facing the
stern) and is 7/8"... again... perfect round hole - and all the indications of being
purposeful... but for what exactly ??

Comment: Strangely enough... I am not a big fan of "holes in a boat's hull" - for any
purpose and try to strictly limit these, but if there was a really good reason -
maybe I would keep these ?

B) Does anyone actually "know" the hull thickness - looks like about 3/32nds pretty
standard marine grade aluminum with no special pedigree ? But if someone has
better info - I would sure appreciate it.

C) Yes, I realize this was probably set up for a console, but maybe this ain't strictly
going to be "a perfect restoration"... and I tend to favor a tiller set up... form follerin'
function - and this will be a fishing boat.

So... has anybody "seen" someone do that... or have any suggestions in that direction
(Other than... please don't do that... because I'm going to...)

Thanks for your help (and patience with me) - I will send pictures on my next. Not exactly
a thing of great beauty (yet), but for me... every one of these carries a dream (that I "get"
not everyone can "see" or necessarily appreciate). I am fortunately (or unfortunately) the
guy who is easily hooked... seeing what each could become...

Just hookd on it... is all (and thanks again for your collective help)

Gutthookd

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats. You couldn't have come to a better place. I am NOT a Tin Boat expert but we have a LOT of members that are. The holes, I'm guessin here, are probably for bilge and or Livewell Pumps. You might call the PO and see if the boat had these when he originally tore it apart. You can pretty much set her up the way you want as long as you take into consideration the proper bracing of the hull sides etc. The forum requires about 3-4 posts before you can post pics. Just ask a few more questions and then post your pics.

WelcomeAboard.jpg

Hi Gutthookd,
Guess we are in the same boat (pun intended). I too just picked up a Bluefin, a 1989 Spectrum. I have it mostly torn apart, floors out etc. I don't know a whole lot about these boats in particular, got it right (I think) and am building it the way I want.

Mine has three holes in the back, one is a drain for the forward live well, one is an inlet for the forward live well and the other is the drain plug.

The plan is to add two more live wells, a fishing chair forward and aft, paint flat black and green for use as fishing as well as waterfoul hunting.

Post some pics, be cool to see what you are doing!

Status
Not open for further replies.