Replacing transom on a '61 Texas Maid Fiesta

TexasChef67

Recruit
Any suggestions, pointers, concerns with doing a wood/aluminum transom replacement on my newly aquired 1961 aluminum hull Texas Maid Fiesta. This is my first "project"
I would aloso like to connect with any other owners of the Fiesta and/or Lonestar

Last edited:

sheboyganjohn

Senior Chief Petty Officer
WOG should be along shortly. He did a restore on a Lonestar. You can also try the search at the top for the term Lonestar and you will find a bit of reading.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Any suggestions, pointers, concerns with doing a wood/aluminum transom replacement on my newly aquired 1961 aluminum hull Texas Maid Fiesta. This is my first "project"
I would aloso like to connect with any other owners of the Fiesta and/or Lonestar

do not use treated lumber

do use the old-timers wood preservative (find a Woodonglass posting and look at his signature)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to iBoats. My boat is fiberglass so not much help on your Tin Can!!! Google Groups has a Lonestart Boat Group so you might check there. Transoms are easy on an aluminium boat but as stated do NOT use any Treated lumber on your boat. Ext grade plywood with the Old Timers Recipe applied will last a very long time.