Alumacraft Tampico Restoration

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I think I may be getting a bit ahead of myself, but I have a lot of ply at the house that I think will work.

So far, my plan is to start work this weekend. First step will be disassembly and clean up. I'm not sure if you can tell in the pictures, but the last time it was registered was 1984, so who knows how long it's been since it's been on the water.

Once that is done, I want to get it off the trailer and into the garage. The trailer needs some work like a leaf spring replaced, and bunks added (boats currently just sitting on the keel rollers), but that can wait until spring.

Once tear down is complete, next step would be to prep for paint and then paint. I do have some questions about that. I think I can probably spray over the existing red and white, but the bottom of the boat had paint on it at some point, that is a total mess now. I was thinking aircraft stripper for that?

Once paint is done, I plan on putting it back on the trailer, then reassembling, building new pieces as I go (transom and dash are the big ones).

If I need to seal with gluvit, what state should that be done at? Should I plan on doing that anyway, just to be safe?

edgepa

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow! That boat looks great... Are you planning to modify it or return it to its former glory? I would Gluvit the all seams to be safe, but that's just my opinion. There are smarter guys around here. Can't wait to see more pics!

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Wow! That boat looks great... Are you planning to modify it or return it to its former glory? I would Gluvit the all seams to be safe, but that's just my opinion. There are smarter guys around here. Can't wait to see more pics!

Thanks! It's gonna be a lot of work, but the bones are solid. Our plan right now is a resto-modish. Possibly some better seats etc, but really try to keep is mostly period correct. I'm thinking gluvit is gonna be a must, just for peace of mind.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Last question for the day. (Can you tell I'm busy at work?). Let's talk power. The boat is rated for 50 hp. Currently, it has a 55 hp 3 cylinder electro shift Johnson that's in a pretty bad state of decay. Plan on selling it for parts/scrap.

I had initially planned on tossing on the 35 hp Evinrude that I currently have on my Jon boat. That said, I currently have a 60 hp twin cylinder Johnson on my pontoon.

I'm now thinking since the transom will be rebuilt, and possibly reinforced as needed, I could probably sell the jon boat as it sits, power this with the 60 (I have to imagine that twin is lighter than the 55 hp triple), and then repower the pontoon with an 85 hp or so. Thoughts?

zool

Captain
It will work fine with the 10hp bump, probably similar weight....the real risk is if you are going to insure it and have an accident, they may negate ur claim if the hp rating is available to them. Or, someone elses insurance sues you, for overpowering it and causing the incident.

Ive overpowered before and took my chances, so not judging, just advising .

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
It will work fine with the 10hp bump, probably similar weight....the real risk is if you are going to insure it and have an accident, they may negate ur claim if the hp rating is available to them. Or, someone elses insurance sues you, for overpowering it and causing the incident.

Ive overpowered before and took my chances, so not judging, just advising .

All great points.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, more pictures. She's crusty and full of leaves and junk, and sitting cockeyed due to a flat tire and no bunks, but I think there's a lot of potential here!

GFN3Cal.jpg

Wz6el3n.jpg

F7Y8HRU.jpg

2hgxMP6.jpg

YmlQ3W4.jpg

OBjJQGg.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Also, the Admiral said I'm not allowed to take the motor from HER (wait what!?!?) pontoon, so looks like the 35 it is for now.

zool

Captain
She looks in pretty good shape, all the hardware is there, and a good windshield!

Oh, and its a common tale.....The boat is hers when its running good, and yours when its not :D

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
She looks in pretty good shape, all the hardware is there, and a good windshield!

Oh, and its a common tale.....The boat is hers when its running good, and yours when its not :D

I've previously redone a Glastron V-162, and was keeping my eyes open for something similar, but she reminded me, stick to aluminum and outboards. Glad I listened, so I guess I'll let her keep the barge running LOL.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, went to get started on the boat this weekend, and on the trailer, it's about 1.5" too big to close the garage doors. Kiddo learned some fun new dad words during that experience. Will probably try to strip it down outside, then get it off the trailer and onto dollies this coming weekend.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Listed the old 55 horse sitting on the boat when I got it as a parts motor. Someone came last night and picked it up! Now we're ready for tear down.

JAPFIui.jpg

Transom has seen better days. It turns to dust when you touch it.

yX1i7XE.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Well, sad weekend. With the threat of a freeze on the horizon, we went ahead and winterized.

HuDJ8PS.jpg

See you in 2019!

FaPW0rG.jpg

Got the alumacraft moved to the back yard though. The Admiral is still adamant about me getting the basement done before I really get started on this, but having it closer to the garage makes it easier to sneak out here and there.

t4N1Ymd.jpg

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Another question. Notice how my transom has that board that runs partially across the top. Is that factory? Or did someone add that on to be able to run a long shaft motor?

oldrem

Commander
Another question. Notice how my transom has that board that runs partially across the top. Is that factory? Or did someone add that on to be able to run a long shaft motor?

My guess would be the PO had a long shaft trolling motor he wanted to utilize.

briangcc

Commander
The extra piece on top of the transom looks to be a POM (Previous Owner Mod).

You may have had a sacrificial piece of wood between the exterior of the transom and the main motor. My uncle's Starcraft did and I know he didn't modify his boat. I *think* that board was to keep the motor from piercing the aluminum skin...or at least that's what makes sense to me.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
The extra piece on top of the transom looks to be a POM (Previous Owner Mod).

You may have had a sacrificial piece of wood between the exterior of the transom and the main motor. My uncle's Starcraft did and I know he didn't modify his boat. I *think* that board was to keep the motor from piercing the aluminum skin...or at least that's what makes sense to me.

Yup, there are pieces on both sides of the aluminum. Can see the one halfway flaking off on the stern there.