Got a free boat....oops. Please help!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Hmmm.... you are asking about a part at Auto Zone and your profile advertises Advanced Auto
Parts. :facepalm:

steury73

Cadet
Hmmm.... you are asking about a part at Auto Zone and your profile advertises Advanced Auto
Parts. :facepalm:

Huh? No idea what you are talking about. The part I asked about WAS from Advance Auto Parts and I see nothing related to Auto Zone....? I don't advertise for anything.

Thanks for taking the time to post this though - in an attempt to try to insult me it seems? I don't see the point, nor am I in any way affiliated with either, but thanks for the bump. And please don't reply to this (PM me if you need). I want this thread to be as informative for myself as well as anyone else undertaking a project and would rather it not be full of off topic banter.

Anyways, thanks everyone else for the continued informative posts!

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander
y4mhGG3D10QRTQUzYmULh2HGeE9FE41du3Jjk9urBzvT8iaaqY26awXqOtUqGI9iwvUZbqu9vp3uAhkSO4l0M6M3q9wz9QnTjzRs8Y1PDsQnIHei29NMaomjOW9dJw0Vg7V1icwQxTkieTZf7ZySyJUGIp-FkG2EHTirvmn7crkxhNIw5Wqa5pclkiG3bpYyw61F4D2sfghXH3Ls2TeYkCrUQ

Review the last lines. Advance Auto Parts is in the post.

BTW: Looks like an interesting project.

steury73

Cadet
Ok, so it's been a few weeks and I've been working on it in my free time (an hour or two after the kids go to bed) with only minor setbacks - took an angle grinder through my fingernail...anyways, got the engine running! Once I replaced the fuel line she started right up with no problem.

Ripped out the middle stringer/keel and the two 'support' running boards on either side. Purchased 15 yrds of 1708, 5 yrds of 10 oz, and 5 yrds of chop strand, and a few gallons of poly - hoping this'll be enough! Next step, grinding, and not looking forward to it. Once I'm done grinding I'll give the interior a good power washing and begin the rebuild.

Thanks again for all the advice here, just wanted to give a quick update.

Attachments

• photo290668.jpg
    photo290668.jpg
    1,001.4 KB · Views: 0

steury73

Cadet
Hey All, been a while. Took a break over the summer, mainly because I had to grind and couldn't last more than 5 minutes in the Tyvek suit! But I've got it all ground enough for me to be happy and being the actual re-build.

Now a question: Regarding the 2 'stringers' on either side of the keel stringer (In a picture a few posts up you can see it's about a 4"x5' opening where a board was laid horizontal and not vertical as a normal stringer is). I dont believe these were for any structural integrity but mainly as additional support for the floor. I've got some wood that fits in those empty spots but the floor isn't flat the the boards dont lay neatly. Would cutting a PVC pipe in half and using this for a mold work? I know resign doesn't bond to PVC but if I form it all around so it can't move and just use it as support for the floor would this work or am I just setting myself up for failure? Just thought this would be easier due to the fact the boards I have don't lay flat and is actually still well short of the height needed to reach the floor. Thoughts?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I don't why you can't use a pc of foam scribed to fit and height and glass the heck out of it. The glass will give you the strength. Usually with foam you kinda double the glass layup. So take that into consideration. Heck even cardboard has been used to shape out areas for strength.

steury73

Cadet
Probably could, just have PVC on hand. Figured I could just rip it length-wise and it'd be easy to lay in, easy to cover with no sharp edges, and easy to glass in - granted there's no issues I'm not aware of.