fixing an old riveted aluminum boat.

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello. So i bought this boat without knowing much about leaking rivets, and am stuck fixing it now ! It's main problem is 4 ribs, on both sides are cracked by the last rivets on the skin. Also what would be the best way I should i fix this ? I was thinking of drilling out the rivets,slipping under the the rib a patch, seal and rivet on that patch the replace rivets on the rib, maybe also drill out the ends of the cracks and put rivets there and have someone weld from outside the cracks there. does that should good ? how thick of aluminum should i use for patch ? thanks

Attachments

• photo288613.jpg
    photo288613.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo288614.jpg
    photo288614.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 1
  • photo288615.jpg
    photo288615.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
at a minimum use 16 or 14 gauge. you can rivet panels where the crack is. (rivet a patch on both sides if you can)

if you have it welded, you need a good welder as your near the seam and dont want the seam to leak (sealer will melt with improper welding). you want a welder that uses cold-shield or other method of protecting that seal and not someone that is going to weld and then pour water on it (crystallizing the weld, causing more problems)

you want a welder that has experience with aluminum boats.

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thanks Scott ! one questions would it get welded from the outside and would i have to remove the ribs ?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a good welder (I use my radiator guy or the guys at work) would weld from the outside.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
That's a fairly common problem with early Starcrafts typically due to the outer chine area no longer being supported by a compromised (or intentionally removed) wooden structure.

SNYL4YP.jpg

A few of us have addressed it by drilling holes at the edges of the stress cracks.

IHEfHjI.jpg

then riveting patches to the outside of the hull back-buttered with 3M5200.

hOJa0xk.jpg

I'll be shoring-up that outer-chine with some additional aluminum bracing & vertical risers.
Zy5QhA8.jpg

eFSDb7C.jpg

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That is quite the repairs there ! I think i will do almost the same thing. I am curios if a single long single patch on the outside might be better but as I don't see it on your repair and i don't want to overthink it i maybe will just go ahead and do little patches like you did per stress cracked rib area.

Lund_bC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
for the patches on the bottom, was your bottom curved a bit and did you pre bend the patches to match or do they bend when you are riveting on ? thanks