1965 26' Owens Flagship restoration underway.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Greetings everyone! I haven't been around for a while. I was fairly active on the Johnson/Evinrude outboard forum a few years ago. And I had a project going on this forum about my '83 ClackaCraft drift boat that I was/am restoring. I kind of shelved it because I couldn't manage to get a carport cover built to put it in. And I couldn't face getting it all done and then having it sit out in the weather.

So fast forward to last month and a lady who Mrs.SeaHorse works with says "hey, do you guys want a boat?" So the wife says 'well send me some pictures.' 002.JPG012_small.jpgEGGG3674_small.jpgBICC4851_small.jpg

The Story is it belonged to her older brother who passed away last year. And among her 10 other siblings and various other family members no one wanted it. No surprise there, No sane person would want a 53 year old wooden boat right? So we talked about it for a bit. I said we both have to be on board with this thing 100% or it can't work. ok? So we decided to take it. I told my dad about it and he said "don't do it, run the other way!" His dad had a 30s or 40s Chris Craft so he remembered all the time spent scraping, sanding and varnishing. That's ok, my kids don't listen to me either. :)

An acquaintance of the lady manages a marina a few miles upriver from her brothers floating home where the above pictures were taken. He's been looking after it since last October when they moved it. It was sitting out tied up at a dock at the marina for a few months covered by a leaky tarp. It's now in a boat house at the marina which I'm now renting for a few months while I get all my ducks in a row.

So far I've gotten the batteries charged up. They seem to be ok at this point. They're 3 years old and they were stone dead when I started. They'll work to get all the systems up & running but they don't seem to have a lot of reserve. I've gotten the shore power squared away. The dual bank battery charger works well. It's a Pro Mariner ProSport 8. Its an older one so needs updating but it works fine for now. The fridge is dead but the microwave and toaster oven still work. The aft bilge pump and switch are missing. The Forward bilge pump is junk. The switch still works but of course needs to be replaced. Dan the manager of the marina put an automatic 110V sump pump in the boat just in case but after I got all the rain water out from the leaky tarp it's bone dry in the bilge with no sign of rot anywhere that I can see inside.

the most exciting bit is I got it running today.........Aaaaand of course the movie I made is 0.07mb too large to upload. Aaaaaargh!!! I'll get it figured out and post it later, along with more pictures. But it sounds great!

Updates and more pictures to come.

Cheers..................................Todd

Ned L

Commander
Congrats on getting the engine up and going.
She can again be a comfortable little cruiser. Owens of that era were pretty much more of an 'entry level' boat of sheet plywood construction. ...... This is probably all a good thing for you now. Sheet plywood construction is simple and reliable (and as you have seen makes for a nice tight boat). She was also never loaded up with lots of systems that need upgrading and maintaining, simple being easier to maintain. The only down side is that she is not particularly a boat you would want to be out in during really bad weather, she is light, so she would bounce you around pretty well.

A word of caution, I believe her foredeck is a teak veneer plywood, so if it is saveable I would keep it out of the weather to preserve it until you can decide what you want to do with it, as replacing it would be more than a bit of a job.

Looking forward to your adventures with her, ....... a nice looking fun boat.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys! Yeah it's definitely entry level. Perfect for our needs. The brochures I've seen from the era state that very clearly. I think of the mid 60s Owens as kind of akin to CBS era Fender guitars or an AMF Harley Davidson. But it seems like from what I see here the fit and workmanship is still quite good for what it is.

Well I tried to upload a smaller version of the video but I guess I can't upload an .mp4. Oh well, I guess you'll just have to trust me, it sounds great! :)

Cheers....................Todd

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
thats what youtube is for make a channel upload to youtube then link here:)

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Alright fine!!! :)

I've been resisting but I suppose I'll have to. There's only so much you can convey in still pictures.

Ok you guys will have to let me know if this works.

Cheers...................Todd

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks mickyryan!

Ned L wrote;
"A word of caution, I believe her foredeck is a teak veneer plywood, so if it is saveable I would keep it out of the weather to preserve it until you can decide what you want to do with it, as replacing it would be more than a bit of a job."

Yes I believe you are correct. It's not very thick but it seems to be solid enough. In fact of all the wood in the boat that I've seen so far my biggest concern is the forward most 3 ft. or so. I think it was sticking out from under the awning it was under and has seen a lot more weathering than the rest. IMG_0321_small.jpg I'm anxious to see how it will sand out. The foredeck as you can see has the planking veneer but the caulking look was painted on actually in the varnish. I have to believe that will be a tedious masking job.

Speaking of things of concern I found this in the head. IMG_0332_small.jpg This might be the most alarming thing I've seen so far!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
To me, it looks like that veneer is totally toast. I am sure Ned L will chime in with his opinion.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks DRS. Keep in mind the the stuff with the planking look towards the back of the foredeck is just the varnish that is peeling off. It actually has the black calking painted in.

Cheers..........................Todd

Ned L

Commander
The foredeck is a bit of a tough situation. You say the plywood is still solid? If it were me, I would call that a win and do the best with what is there. You are there to evaluate the plywood better than I can tell by your picture, but to me it looks beyond being able to bring it back to varnish. Unfortunately if you do much sanding you risk going through the thin top veneer.
I would be inclined to basically glass the foredeck. Either 6 oz fiberglass cloth set in epoxy and painted with a nonskid paint, or Dynel set in epoxy would be two options. Dynel gives a very traditional canvased deck look.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks to both Ned L and DRS4164. I'm sure you both are 100% right in your assessment. But it is a bitter pill to swallow. A big part of the appeal of a wood boat to me is the varnished wood fore-deck. Especially one like this that because of the plywood construction doesn't have the swoopy lines of a classic wooden boat. I haven't touched the fore-deck yet with anything but a shop-vac so I still have some hope.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
In other news, the forward 3' are no longer my chief concern. I finally found some rot! IMG_0347.JPG It's on the port side right about amidships right at the water line. I fully expect to find more, once more of the interior of the boat is exposed. Discovering it was a bit deflating at first but it wasn't unexpected or anything. Then I started getting kind of excited in a weird way about the challenge and about learning new techniques. It has moved the boat restoration up a bit on the overall priorities list which is a good thing. Need to get this thing out of the water and home "on the hard" as the saying goes.

Cheers........................Todd

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
BTW I gotta get that black water tank and stuff outa there! It's disgusting! I don't think they used the right kind of hose for that. I was going to pull it out yesterday but ran out of time. I feel like I need a paper has-mat suit for this job!

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
My first priority at this point is to get the bilge pumps up to speed. My plan is to get a Rule 1100GPH pump and a Rule-A-Matic switch for the forward bilge pump and a 2000GPH pump and a Rule-A-Matic switch for the aft bilge pump. I'd like to go a bit bigger for the aft one but the bilge pump circuit breakers are both only 7.5 amp. Sizes seem to jump from 2000 to 3700GPH and those draw about 14amps. Too much for the existing circuitry. For the forward one nothing bigger than 4 3/8' tall will fit under the decking. so I'm limited there .

In you guys opinion is there a glaring fault in this plan? Should I upgrade the circuit breaker and wiring for the aft one and go with the 3700 in the back? Is there another brand you guys trust? What would you do? Thanks.

Cheers..........................Todd

Ned L

Commander
Back to your foredeck for a minute. You can still keep the toe rail varnished if you glass the foredeck, and the boat will still look the same from the side. Varnished foredecks are great on mahogany speed boats, but on a boat where you expect to have to use and walk on the foredeck (line handling and anchor handling) varnished foredecks are really not safe. They can be as slippery as a skating rink when they get wet.

Sea18Horse

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Ned! You have a point there and I did think about that. I've been googling Traditional canvas and Dynel & epoxy images and it does look nice. One thing that has me concerned is that the for-deck is only 3/8' ply. (To which a previous owner screwed the anchor chocks and deck pipe with 3/4' screws and left them sticking out inside. :facepalm:) Does the Dynel and epoxy option have any flexibility to it? Because it does flex some when I step on it. Or would the glass option be better in this case? Thanks!

Cheers.........................Todd

Ned L

Commander
I believe you should not have a problem with either Dynel or glass cloth if you use epoxy (vs polyester resin). Epoxy typically is a bit less brittle.