1974 Duo Vagabond 17' sterndrive Transom and stringers project

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Quick update
well I have been trying to heat my tent with space heaters up to now and just not cutting it.
purchased a forced air propane heater, 35000 btu. What a difference! Had it up to over 30 in about 30 minutes.
laid my first batch of pb to fill in the gaps where the decking meets the hull, squeezed it in the gap to ensure it is supporting the edge 500ml resin, thickened with chopped glass did 1 entire side including along the transom to the bilge.
looks like I should be able to get good enough temps to pour the foam too

froggy1150

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Finally got below 60 the other night here and found out the hard way it seems to triple the cure time for my epoxy. Went out and got a crafstman 60000 btu for $100 and fired it up in my tentboat and went from 50 to almost 90 in less than 5 min. I watched the mercury rise like if I had a torch on it. I turned it down to the 20000 btu setting.... still to hot so I closed the valve on the tank til it was tolerable...... roasting all winter:)

dezmond

Ya that’s little too warm. I have a little space heater and I try to keep my shop around 22 when glassing. Seems to be a nice temp so far. Gives me a bit of extra time as well. I’m in no hurry. Got all winter ;)

froggy1150

I am outside so need to be able to stay at glassing Temps. Might buy another and heat bottom of boat.....

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
So been ridiculously busy at work and pulled a muscle in my back.
as for the boat- been reading more than working lately.
and as I read different builds I am questioning the size of my bilge.
the current/original design runs the entire length of the hull!
Of course this comes to me as an area of concern AFTER my decking Is glassed in.
i could still quite easily seal it off without disassembly.
just looking for opinions and ideas.
should I’d just leave it as it was or seal it off shortened
if I do seal it off , foam? No foam?

Im thinking seal it and foam it but .....

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hey now not sure about your reference to the bilge you have. post some pics for review.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
2 stringers approx 15” apart running front to back , no bulkheads bilge opening approx 24” x15” and remaining centre Chanel runs to the bow can’t seem to get pictures attached tonight for Some reason

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here’s another picture with the decking on

Attachments

• photo304899.jpg
    photo304899.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 0

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh don’t worry I’ll dirty her up😉
so any thoughts on the bow to stern bilge???

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Nice chase for piping and wire pulls. Maybe som conduit to transfer any water, conduit for wiring then som foam.

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don’t have any need for chases as it is a side control layout
as for “transferring water” my plan is to keep it out😆
i suppose if I HAD put a couple of bulkheads in it could have been a shallow (5 1/2 inch deep)storage BUT the deck is in (pl5200 and p.b on the sides) so now too late for changes beloyexvept at the rearward end and bilge cutout.
The more I think of it the more I feel I should just leave it the way it was built.
lasted 44 years with sloppy factory glass work.
just looking for other views I guess

dezmond

Fill er with foam. You will get some rigidity and sound deadening for the slaps of the water... Just my thoughts.....

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update time
well March is here😐kind of been in hibernation and have not braved the weather much other than to check that everything is staying dry in the tent / portable garage my project is in. Everything has stayed perfectly dry other than a bit of snow that blew in under the edges during a high winds snowstorm we had last week.
i have decided that I will add a bulkhead and foam fill the majority of my centre bilge channel and am planning to get things going finally.
i wish I had planned a bit better as I now have to install the bulkhead under the already installed decking.
should not be too bad (I hope) but only 12” wide and 6” deep.
need it spaced back from my cut opening so I can access for the front engine mount bolts.
started measuring and planning today.
After following Another build (thanks for the information and motivation Dez.). I plan on foaming this weekend

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well plans changed but finally got the combination of time, enthusiasm and good weather to spend some time on things.
i had my bulkhead measured but not test fitted until today.
i went a bit loose on the fitting to accommodate glassing.
I was concerned about my resin but after doing a test batch all is good.
got a good first coat on the bulkhead piece, will follow up with csm tomorrow.
also finished P.Bing all my seams where the decking meets the hull and port side got a 1st layer of tabbing.
ran out of time and propane for my heater but have the day off tomorrow. Hoping to get some more done and hopefully ready for foaming this weekend.