69 alumacraft restore

Tom Lovette

Cadet
I got a 69 alumacraft with the evinrude 18hp fastwin twin motor. The motors are steered with a Pully system. Is anyone familiar with this particular system and if so can I replace the steering wheel?

Tom Lovette

Cadet
I’m restoring the boat and want to replace the steering wheel with something better. I can’t get the old one off and have been told it doesn’t come off on this type of steering column. I’ve cracked the steering bolt so I can’t get the nut back on.

Tom Lovette

Cadet
I checked out the link you posted, thanks By the way for taking your time to help. Now how does this kit adapt to the motors?

LK_Shastina

Cadet
I replaced the original steering wheel on my 1962 Alumacraft. But that was in 1986. So yes, you can remove old wheel from shaft. I replaced it with one I got on clearance and don't recall the brand. But its was a standard type mount for pull steering , so once you get old one off, you can pack it around to stores until you find a direct match for mounting. Good luck!

Tom Lovette

Cadet
This wheel is not coming off. Cracked the mounting bolt while using the wheel puller. I’m looking to upgrade the system but I’m not exactly sure what system to use that will work with two motors.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Mercury Quicksilver 892722A01 - Dual Outboard Tie Bar Kit, 28 to 30 Inch
You can buy a kit but they ARE PRICEY. Most make their own. Not hard to do. Basically create a bar to attach to the primary motor where the cable attaches and extend it to the steering arm on the Secondary motor. I'll see if I can find a pic of a "HomeMade" one. Just like a Kicker Motor steering system. Here's a pic...
null_zps70cda6f2.jpg

Last edited: