88 Sea Ray Seville backrest

Jmar625

Recruit
I am new to boating and just got a 88 Sea Ray Seville to get started before I make any major investment. My current issue is the boat I bought doesn't have the backrest, I tried calling around to see if anyone had one at numerous salvage places all with no luck.

My question is has anyone restored one of these before from scratch? If so any tips? Or would anyone potentially have one for sale? Any help would greatly be appreciated, trying to get water ready before the warmer weather comes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Back Rest??? Rear Seat?? Front Seat?? Is this an Inboard or Outboard boat?

Jmar625

Recruit
Here are some pictures. Sorry wouldn't let me upload them earlier. The first photo is my boat, I have the seats (been sent off to be redone) but I'm missing the back piece that serves as the back rest. The second photo is a boat with the back rest installed.

Attachments

• photo287006.jpg
    photo287006.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo287012.jpg
    photo287012.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ahh Ok, Take some measurements and some good pics and take them to the guy that's doing your seats. If he's any good he should be able to fabricate and cover some of those for you. I know I could!!!

tpenfield

Staff member
+1 to what WoG said. Easy job for an upholstery shop to make a replacement.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Its 2 pieces of wood, some foam and vinyl. As WOG stated, talk to you upholstery guy

Jmar625

Recruit
Any special wood needed for this type of project? Or just go to Home Depot and pick up some standard plywood?

BlueBeard70

Cadet
Let me know what you end up with. Mine is also missing the backs (and the supports to raise the seats to a sunpad). The example photo you have seems to have the bottom seats that can fold up to fill in the back maybe?

Attachments

• photo287213.jpg
    photo287213.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 0

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Let me know what you end up with. Mine is also missing the backs (and the supports to raise the seats to a sunpad). The example photo you have seems to have the bottom seats that can fold up to fill in the back maybe?

I think WOG has the right idea. On boats like that, the back of those rear seats are often part of the hinged cover for the rear. They often go missing together, and while making/having made a replacement-in-kind is probably high $$. The cockpit cover is often folded up on its poles and stored in that area back there

BlueBeard70

Cadet
The little pieces of wood along the sides of the rear seats look like they're sized for the cushions to raise to a sunpad? Was that original or do you think that was an "owner special"? Seems like a decent idea but the vinyl trim is on 1.4 ply so I wonder if it'd be strong enough and if it'd be sort of "pokey" for when the seats are down. So much to learn from these photos that doesn't seem to be in the manuals or brochures or anything.