Interior gelcoat cracks

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all

I was wondering if someone could give me a hint or an explanation as to what would be the cause of gelcoat cracks in the corners of steps. It is a small 20ft daycruiser with three steps. I would assume that the cracks have developed due to stepping on them countless times but then again, I have read from somewhere that the gelcoat cracks develop on the "stretch" side of the laminate....which in this case would be on the contrary to the force applied by stepping on them...so I'm a bit confused. Could it be some lateral force flexing the hull? Or perhaps a big bang on the keel/bottom of the hull since the steps section of the deck is sitting on the stringers grid?

Attachments

• photo286874.jpg
    photo286874.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo286875.jpg
    photo286875.jpg
    700.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
The area is flexing, and is probably because the manufacture either didn't make it thick enough, or did not secure/support it very well.

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another words...still caused by stepping on not so thick laminate layer?

alldodge

Staff member
Another words...still caused by stepping on not so thick laminate layer?

Yes most likely, but the gel layer does not have much if any strength, its the layers of glass under the gell which is probably to thin for what the use is

saaristo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes most likely, but the gel layer does not have much if any strength, its the layers of glass under the gell which is probably to thin for what the use is

That would also mean that repairing just the gelcoat would not help anything, it will crack again.
I don't quite understand how to repair that. Taering off the teak and relaminating everything? Outcome would probably not be so attractive as the factory result due to lots of inner and outer corners.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you can get to the back side, grind the surface, then a few layers of 1708, then proceed to the gel-coat repair.

tpenfield

Staff member
Based on where the steps are and where the cracks are , I would also add that the natural flexing of the boat as it rides the waves (or pounds them) is contributing to the cracking.

Cosmetic really, may not be a huge issue, just not the greatest thing to look at.