Newbie here! Help ID my new project ... please?

Skip Wiarda

Cadet
Hi, y'all!

I was recently shopping around for a small trailer to use for launching my personal pontoon (water's WAY too cold this time of year to do the little bit of wading necessary otherwise) when I came home with this little project:

Old logo identifies it as a Crestliner, but no data plate so I don't know either the model or the year. Approximately 14' long. I'm assuming it's from somewhere in the '70s.

Can anyone help me with a more accurate assessment?

Attachments

• photo286873.jpg
    photo286873.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo286997.jpg
    photo286997.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 0

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hey there!

Was there a title with it when you picked it up?

If it's 72 or later, there should be a HIN number on the transom. Should start with 3 letters then some number/letter combos. Can do a lookup on that HIN number.

Pre 72, and it might not have that..
Is it there?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
what does the registration/title say it is?

Skip Wiarda

Cadet
Sigh, yeah. Looking at the title would be the simple solution, however my state doesn't require title for hulls manufactured prior to 1985. The transom is extremely solid, far better than what I was expecting but no plate. There appears to be one on the forward bulkhead, but I'm going to have to remove it and etch it in order to read it. So far, I'm guessing it's a Muskie 14.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

How long ago was it registered in Utah? Some states track registrations forever and some don't - No idea about Utah. And some states use models along with the builder like cars. Crestliner Muskie 14/Ford Mustang.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sigh, yeah. Looking at the title would be the simple solution, however my state doesn't require title for hulls manufactured prior to 1985. The transom is extremely solid, far better than what I was expecting but no plate. There appears to be one on the forward bulkhead, but I'm going to have to remove it and etch it in order to read it. So far, I'm guessing it's a Muskie 14.

your state may not require titles (most dont for boats under 16'). however your state surely does require registration on boats. hence the numbers. so what does the registration say it is.

FYI. states without titles use the registration as the "title". its also the paperwork for proving ownership.

Skip Wiarda

Cadet
How best to tackle this ... ?

My new (and first) project has several "rub spots" (for lack of a better term) where the fiberglass mat is showing through the finish on the cap. Should I just fill and finish, or reglass the entire cap?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmmm yeah!!! This type of glass damage needs more resin and glass for sure. What Boat is this? Make, Model Year?