1985 Galaxy Conquest 199 I/O to O/B with bad transom

The 19’ 1985 Galaxy cuddly cabin has the usual rot in the transom and stringers. We would like to replace the 3.0 Mersruiser with one or two outboards. A bracket for the motor(s) would require total transom and stringer renovation and probably some bracing here and there. Would it be feasible to install a new transom forward of the existing transom, remove the existing one and replace it with a second transom/motor board with the correct angle and cutout for the outboard? The hull would have to be trimmed to suit and the tabbing would not be real smooth but we could live with that. I realize that there are lots of issues involved in this scheme including bracing to the stringers, engine controls and so on. Anybody ever try this? Any comments, suggestions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it would be cheaper to sell what you have and buy what you want.

alldodge

Staff member
Would it be feasible to install a new transom forward of the existing transom, remove the existing one and replace it with a second transom/motor board with the correct angle and cutout for the outboard?

It's possible and sure it can be done. Being a 19 footer, might be easier to build an extension to hold the outboards off the transom

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Put back the way it was w/a full transom and have a transom bracket/pod/motor bracket fabricated and attach to the transom. They are made in fiberglass or aluminum to fit the contour of your transom.
Doing the pod on your own actually ends up costing @ the same $$ if you were to build it.

Probably a pod or bracket is a better way to go.I would be a lot more comfortable out on the bay with a professionally designed bracket back there rather than a pod, especially if I cobbled the pod together myself. I will see what the bracket people suggest for transom and bracing, and if Seacasting the transom and stringers might work. Further comment and suggestions on this project are very welcome.

Bondo

Staff member
with one or two outboards.

Ayuh,.... It would probably be cheaper to put it back together with a 3.0l, like it was, than tryin' to put 2 outboards on it,....

I didn’t mention the overdue maintenance that 33 year old salt water 3.0 needs. Maybe Scott Danforth has the best advice:
Bail out and start looking..