1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II - First Time Rebuild - Floor, Engine, Dash, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
nice! I think I'm going to have to pour in place as mine are going to be about 10'x30" each. They'll have open spots, for 2 grills and a sink, but I still think they'll be pretty heavy. I dunno, time will tell.

Can't wait to see boat updates next!

ACon977

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Yea mine was heavy due to the thickness, but in general, something that big would probably be better to pour in place. Make sure you have a magnesium trowel. dont know 100% what it does, but everything in read/saw recommended it.

Hoping to get some boat work done this long holiday weekend and will update after!

LW14

Recruit
I have enjoyed reading your rebuild, (and outdoor space). I hope you will be able to take it out before the end of the summer. I am posting this because I recently purchased a 1987 ski centurion, and I was hoping you could help me. Mine is not a rebuild, so I don't have to restore it, but it did not have a prop on it when I purchased it. it also did not have a manual or any paperwork with it. So I wanted to ask what size prop goes on your boat? I have researched and have not been successful in finding a size that I am sure will work. It is very frustrating, as I am very excited to get it out on the water, not only to enjoy the water but also to check it out and make sure there are no other issues. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Lori

ACon977

I have enjoyed reading your rebuild, (and outdoor space). I hope you will be able to take it out before the end of the summer. I am posting this because I recently purchased a 1987 ski centurion, and I was hoping you could help me. Mine is not a rebuild, so I don't have to restore it, but it did not have a prop on it when I purchased it. it also did not have a manual or any paperwork with it. So I wanted to ask what size prop goes on your boat? I have researched and have not been successful in finding a size that I am sure will work. It is very frustrating, as I am very excited to get it out on the water, not only to enjoy the water but also to check it out and make sure there are no other issues. Any info you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Lori

Hey Lori!

Thanks for your comment, I'm hoping to get it in the water this summer as well. Congrats on the new purchase! Wish I could say that the prop was my biggest concern.. but to be honest, havent even looked at it. I can look when I am home from work and see if there is a size or SN on it for you to reference.

Regarding Manuals, I found a few for the 351, but not for the boat itself. So far I have just been following the standard boat schematics of where things go, but I also see that the previous owners have not kept it stock, so there are a few things that dont match up anyways.

Timr71 recently swapped out the prop on his Falcon (very similar to our Tru Trac) and I know he did more research on props for that type of boat.

ACon977

Hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

I wish I had exciting news on the boat, but the Honey-Do list took over the few days instead... I got 6 hours of weeding in on Friday, new seed, fertilizer, worked on the patio, and then started rebuilding our front porch since the admiral didnt like the wrought iron (spelling?).

So the garage is still packed with stuff, and the boat didnt get touched.. I feel like I'm letting you all down. Definitely need to get something done this week to make up for it.

We did sneak off on the 4th to go snow skiing, ABasin had their closing day and we couldnt say no. It was 70F! Snow was surprisingly fun slushy moguls, and the rest of the mountain was dry, just one little ribbon down the center.
Also did the pond skim! I knew waterskiing would pay off on the mountain eventually :bounce: although my Blizzard Brahmas are not exactly made to be on top of the water lol

Attachments

• photo316471.jpg
    photo316471.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 1

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Lori.

I put an ACME 541 on my ski centurion. And, I purchased it from Delta Propeller in Ohio. But I would recommend that you either contact ACME directly, or call Delta, or call Ron a skiboatparts online .com. Here's some links that will help. I assume, but you need to confirm that you're dealing with a 1 inch shaft diameter and a left hand rotation. That's pretty standard in these boats.

Also, like Austin mentioned, you should be able to google search and locate PDFs of the Ford engine manuals.

Good luck!

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi Austin,

I saw the A-Basin pics. Looked like the lift line was crazy long. I'm sure you only got a couple of runs in.

I only got a couple of these runs in.

Attachments

• photo316481.jpg
    photo316481.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 0

ACon977

Hi Austin,

I saw the A-Basin pics. Looked like the lift line was crazy long. I'm sure you only got a couple of runs in.

I only got a couple of these runs in.

Yea a couple of runs is generous haha but we did get last lift up to the top and were some of the last people on the mountain to come down. Really a fun experience.

Im liking your runs! Looks so fun! We did a roadtrip back to the midwest for a few weddings and got some skiing in. Realized I hadnt been on a slalom ski in just over one year! Struggling to keep my hands low due to the slack from riding the tail of the ski, but still very fun! It definitely motivated me to starting work on the boat again.

Attachments

• photo316482.jpg
    photo316482.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo316483.jpg
    photo316483.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo316484.jpg
    photo316484.jpg
    951 KB · Views: 2

Timr71

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks like great fun. It'll come back quick.

I just want to go to the lake more now too.

mr300z87

You guys are making me jealous I always loved spring skiing but July skiing is unheard of here in the east coast beside I have not been on snow skis is about 10 years. My 53 yr old knees are not up for it. As for the slalom skiing my friends boat is in the shop getting a new outboard installed this week so I am hoping we can get out soon. Unfortunately no skiing behind me 25 cabin cruiser. LOL

ACon977

We had the opportunity to snow ski in July back in 2017 but didnt take advantage, this time around, we couldnt say no.

Hope your buddy gets his boat back from the shop soon so you can get out on the lake!

ACon977

Hey All, I feel like an apology is not enough, I realize that the boat work has been so sad and minimal. However, its time to set aside the busy past and start pouring hours back into the boat. I spent my evening emptying all the stuff from the move (tower, windshield, cables, life jackets, ropes, etc.) and then gave the ol' rotary buffer a go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	MVIMG_20190813_224336-1612x1209.jpg Views:	1 Size:	388.4 KB ID:	10786616 . Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190813_224418-1209x1612.jpg Views:	1 Size:	271.5 KB ID:	10786617 . Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190813_224404-1209x1612.jpg Views:	1 Size:	306.6 KB ID:	10786618 .

This last pic from the front shows the before and after contrast!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190813_224531-1612x1209.jpg Views:	1 Size:	340.1 KB ID:	10786619

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190813_224336-1612x1209.jpg
    MVIMG_20190813_224336-1612x1209.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 4
  • MVIMG_20190813_224339-1612x1209.jpg
    MVIMG_20190813_224339-1612x1209.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 5

ACon977

So next steps moving forward are:
1. Build Seat Bases
2. Glass Seat Bases
3. Rear Seat Arm Rests
4. Passenger Seat Side Panel (the old seat was an L, we are replacing with a bench for simplicity)
5. Gas Tank Cover (may just clean it up and re-seal
6. Paint floor and walls with white marine paint
7. Foam Flooring
8. Install new engine components
9. install Port side Welsh Plugs (realized I forgot to do the port side after bashing my hand putting in Starboard)
10. Debug and run engine
11. Finish buffing and polishing
12. Exhaust blower
13. Front exhaust cover

With even more to do, but these are the first that come to mind. Probably wont nock off in any particular order, short of the seat bases needing to be built and glassed before the floor paint and foam goes in.

And just because Im still happy about it, another pic of the shiny finish.

IMG_20190813_224559-1612x1209.jpg

ACon977

Looking good. I know many times I have to kick myself in the butt a few times to get back into a project - probably because I have too many going

too true Rem. Ive had no less than 5 projects at a time but finally knocking enough off the list to finally get back to the top and look at this ol' beaut.

mr300z87

Looks Great, I was thinking about your progress the other day since my friends boat in back in action and the new 90HP 3cyl Evinrude E-Tec really get it done. Been out twice now on it and the first time it almost tore the rope out of my hands. Last week these 2 old guys both did some slalom runs in the bay and had a great day. Conditions in Barnegat Bay were as good as they get but still not like what your lakes are like. Keep up the good work. Mike

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks awesome!

What type of buffer do you have? My second HF is junk (they replaced the first one that was junk immediately).

Looking forward to more of your top notch work!

Status
Not open for further replies.