Painting Outdrive

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all,

Hoping someone can assist...

Looking at painting my Mercruiser outdrive - just need some simple advice...

The outdrive unit year I have is 1987/88 - it is an Alpha One - and I believe one of the only years that Mercruiser made these WHITE...

I am looking to paint it GLOSS BLACK - because I think it looks better...

I live in AZ:
- No salt water within a few hundred miles
- Hardly ever rains here
- Not going to be sitting in the water

Just want to change the colors from WHITE (Sea Ray calls it Oyster) to GLOSS BLACK.

There is no rust or major chipping

I don't think I need to prime it first?? Just maybe scuff up what I can with 220 grit paper or something and repaint it with whatever gloss black paint?

Thanks!

ND

Attachments

• photo286042.jpg
    photo286042.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1

tpenfield

Staff member
Maybe some steel wool to rough up the existing surface a bit, and then paint away.

chevymaher

Commander
I am using Hot Rod Black frame paint on mine. That stuff will stick and look good on a rock in a mud puddle with no prep at all. I would sand it just saying tho.

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK awesome - thanks!! Is there a preference as to the brand or type of paint? I have read some mixed reviews on the Mercury / Quicksilver Phantom Black - 92-802878Q spray paint...

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you very much!! - Back into boating after about a 30-year hiatus... Just got my first boat in my mid 40's...LOL!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OK awesome - thanks!! Is there a preference as to the brand or type of paint? I have read some mixed reviews on the Mercury / Quicksilver Phantom Black - 92-802878Q spray paint...

mercruiser manual uses PPG product. you can use anything you want. some people use rustoleum with the hardener.

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I might just go with the Rust-Oleum Professional ... I'm sure there are better paints... but for about $10.. its hard to resist the price...

I just have to hurry up and get it done - it will be 90 degrees here before I know it...!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I don't recommend the Rattle Can Rustoleum. I won't hold up well. You CAN use Rustoleum Pro Paint in a can and add Acrylic Enamel Hardener to the mix and it will wear like Iron. Check the link in my signature below

Panoguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi: I had the same situation with my upper unit (replaced the lower with SEI aftermarket). I decided to totally strip mine down to the bare metal, then used some Restoration Shop brand etching primer and acrylic urethane for the topcoat (I even sprung for decals!). It looks great - hope that it holds-up!

Good luck with yours!!

Attachments

• photo286820.jpg
    photo286820.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 2

NatedoggAZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Holy cow - that looks beautiful...

My only problem is that my outdrive (and everything else) is still on the boat - so I will have to use a lot of tape and masking off the areas so I don't have overspray on stuff. I'm really trying to find a primer that can stick to the old paint - I might try that etching stuff...

porscheguy

Chief Petty Officer
Etch primer isn’t for painted surfaces. Use a real, 2-part epoxy. Any paint you use should have a hardener. Prep with red scotch brite pads.