Painting bottom of boat white

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So, the boat I just purchased has some paint rubbed off on bottom. According to previous owner, he pulled the boat up on a sandy beach a lot. The paint is missing about 3 feet long by 2" wide area, very small area. Id like to just touch up paint this area white if i can. Is there a spray paint or a preferred bottom paint to buy ? I will only need a little, but I'm concerned about the color match.

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is where its at on boat, circled red.

Attachments

• photo285475.jpg
    photo285475.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

fishrdan

Admiral
A Keelguard may be a better fix, so you can beach the boat without having to worry as much about tearing up the keel in the future.

I would seal up any exposed fiberglass before applying the Keelguard, but the Keelguard will cover the paint/gelcoat repair, so a perfect color match wouldn't be important. (Trying to perfectly match gelcoat colors would be a fun task...)

gapple12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A Keelguard may be a better fix, so you can beach the boat without having to worry as much about tearing up the keel in the future.

I would seal up any exposed fiberglass before applying the Keelguard, but the Keelguard will cover the paint/gelcoat repair, so a perfect color match wouldn't be important. (Trying to perfectly match gelcoat colors would be a fun task...)

This is a great idea. How far down can you put the keel guard ?

fishrdan

Admiral
The boat already has beaching wear marks, so I'd get one a that extends 1' past the wear. 3' wear, use a 5' Keelgaurd. That's me, others may say different. You don't want it hitting the bow roller, bow roller will peel away the plastic Keelguard.

They have stainless Keelgaurds for the bow roller, if needed. I think it's more cosmetic.

[edit:] I wouldn't have the Keelguard resting on any of the trailer rollers either.

tpenfield

Staff member
It's gelcoat.

Re-do the Gelcoat and add the keel guard, if you plan on beaching the boat.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
FWIW, I put a 9' keel guard on my 19' searay that went from the bow eye to past the helm area so I could beach the boat.

however I would repair the gel like Ted mentioned prior to tossing on a keel guard.