Help with floor coating

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,
My brother and I have spent several weekends repairing the fiberglass floor in our old Sunbird.
Actually, the real reason was to replace the fuel tank, but our floor was in pretty bad condition so we tore out about 10' of it, full width, repaired some soft stringers, and replaced the foam.
We have grown tired of the carpet floor and want to do something more rhino linerish as a floor covering, but I really don't know how to identify a good coating.

Read some good reviews on durabak, but then read some negative stuff.

What should I look into to cover polyester resin fiberglass?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
use raptor liner , you can get it in colors as well , i put it on a bass boat and it worked great, i set my gun as high a psi as it could stand so i had more of a suede type finish over the bigger orange peel but on floor id go like 50 psi and build a nice floor , also order 2 kits because you will never be good enough to scrape by with 1 and you want a good coating on a floor :)
after i realized i would go that route i sanded with 80 grit then wiped down with acetone and then a tack cloth to be sure i had a particle free floor then i went for it, tape off anything you don't want coated with it or it will suck , it don't come off :)
drop cloth everything in a 15 ft radius.

Liquid_force

Petty Officer 1st Class
order 2 kits because you will never be good enough to scrape by with 1 and you want a good coating on a floor :)

What do you consider a "kit"? They have 1-8L packages. I figure I have about 80sq ft on the floor and another 40 or so on the walls.

Indirocz28

Recruit
I own a small spray line company down in central Texas. We spray Scorpion Coatings which is a urethane based liner material that comes in a 2 gallon kit. Each 2 gal kit will do about 50sqft at a thickness of 1/16” thick. They are UV stable, and come in many different colors. You can also add in rubber granuals for grip, and metalflake too! This is sprayed out of a 5 nozzle hopper texture gun. You can purchase through a company called “AL’s Liner” if you don’t have a business account. Being able to spray it that way gives you different ways and pressures to texture. Normally first coat is 20-30psi, let that sit for a couple mins, or while you’re mixing the next batch, then spray the second coat as high as you can. I have an 80gal Ingersol compressor, so spraying at 80-90psi for a truck bed is not an issue. However so have run 40-60 from a 30 gallon before using this spraying method.

You will have a rubbery coating with whatever texture texture you spray it, depending on the pressure and amount of material you allow through the gun.
Dry time for this coating is a couple of days though at temps above 70*.

I also spray Rhino Liner Rhino Pro Tuff Coat from their cartridge based system. This dries as a very hard rubber coating, and almost instantly being a polyurea coating. The down side is that it is not UV stable and will fade over time. While Rhino offers a UV stable option, it is about double the price as the Scorpion/Al’s Liner which already comes UV stable, and that also changes with color options. I prefer this for doing truck beds but Scorpion for doing other projects like a boat.

Also, I will not recommend sup par liners such as monstaliner, or raptor liner, or duplicolor, as I have had too many customers come in who tried to do it cheaper first, and they end up paying me to do it the right way, with quality product, and labor to remove as much of the junk liner they put on as possible.

Hope this helps your decision!