Bayliner 1700 fuel consumption

boedekerj

Seaman
I've run into somewhat of a predicament, and found that in my zeal for overbuilding my replacement stringers, I've made the gap inside of the stringers too small for my fuel tank. This is by maybe 1/4" length and width, height is fine. I'm having a hard time finding a replacement tank with fractional dimensions, so I'm considering just buying a smaller tank. Question; I have a 17' Bayliner, with an 85HP Force. We live on the Mississippi, and our plans will seldom take us more than 10 miles from "home", so it would be nice to have a tank where a 20 mile trip could be done without a refill. What is a realistic range for this boat with a 15 gallon tank? Thanks all!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends on how much of the 85hp you will be using. this comes from factors such as wind, current, load, angle of motor, prop, hull design, barometric pressure, etc. too many variables to say you will be good.

assume 0.5# of fuel per hp per hour for your burn rate to calculate your consumption. (average BSFC for 2-stroke outboards, there are 6.3 # per us gallon)

assuming you use 60hp for two hours, your burning 9.5 gallons of fuel. however if your return trip requires you to burn 85hp worth of fuel, you may not get home.

boedekerj

Seaman
It's a fairly light boat, less than 2000# fully loaded. Using 60HP for 2 hours, assuming that 60HP gets me to 15 MPH (heading upstream) would get me about 30 miles on 9.5 gallons. I like the "buffer" idea. Also, it's not like I can't refill once there. It'd just be nice not to have to. Thanks for the info Scott!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
boat weight means nothing if your in a 40mph head-wind.

I myself would look into a custom tank, or fire up the grinder and knock off a bit off the fiberglass.

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would think it would be cheaper to modify an existing tank? Have a welder cut and narrow a tank or build one to fit.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Cut out the width areas/stringers that prohibit the tank. Then to butt joints on the outside of the existing stringers. You gain back the space you need. you can probably get away with it.