To fill or not to fill

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
i pulled the engine on my 1969 Glasply with a Volvo AQ150, and the lag bolts holding the heat exchanger tower were rusted to the point of breaking. I've finally dug out the shaft of the bolts that were stuck in what I sssume go be the stringers, but now I'm left with these big holes.

Do do I fill these holes with some kind of epoxy?

If so, what do you recommend?

Do I redrill the holes after filing before drilling new lag bolts?

Stainless for the replacement lags( I mostly fish saltwater)?

Do I seal the new lags? If so, with what?

Thanks for for any replies and opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    824.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4475.JPG
    IMG_4475.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Assuming the deck is fiberglass, I would suspect the wood under it is rotted out. I would drill thru the holes with a 1/2 bit. Clean it out and see if you have dry wood throughout. If not keep drilling larger, or digging until its clean an dry. Then fill with epoxy and wood plug or stringer replacement

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
my guess is the motor is coming out and the stringers will be replaced

devildogae

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If wood is good, make sure your lag bolt and hole match up and fill with polyester resin or epoxy reson 80%. Then put your SS lag bolt in and tighten them down. Wipe up the excess that runs out and your done.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
on a 50 year old fiberglass boat, pretty sure the wood long since rotted away

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
The wood is still good. It's mostly been stored inside. I won't be replacing the stringers.

Is there something I should put on the bolts so they can actually be removed some day, or once there in, are they stuck?

alldodge

Staff member
I would say that they won't need to be replaced again for maybe another 50 years. In any case, suggest using some 3M 4200 to seal them up

Skidude17

Petty Officer 1st Class
I decided to drill out a slightly larger hole, and put a dowel plug in. I put 3M 4200 on the bottom and sides prior to installing plugs, and more on the top when I installed the heat exchanger. I recently pulled the engine again because I needed to change the oil pan gasket. The dowel plugs and 4200 seem to have don the trick. As always, thanks to the forum for the help.