1964 crosby sea sled project

DomBl

Recruit
i’ve bedn working on a 1964 14’ sea sled and i was wondering about fiberglass . the fiberglass on the floor of the boat has come unglued from the plywood. i was wondering if there is any way to reggie it or if it has to be removed. i already cut some out and plan to replace but i was hoping to save some by reattaching if possible.

chevymaher

Commander
Same drill as we all went through. If it came loose there is a issue. Rot is usually the issue Drill into the stingers at the bottom and the transom. Just mark the bit on the transom make sure you dont go through.

If it is dry wood shavings your gold. If it is brown toothpaste or worse your doing a demo.

I went into the stringer and water started running out. I didn't need to see any more it was all coming out.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard :wave:

If you would post a few more times to get past the posting requirement and then put some pics up.

DomBl

Recruit
Here are some pictures. I haven’t drilled into it but i believe it’s fine. the floor boards that are shown are still very solid. i believe the fiberglass cracked because overtime the floor boards have sagged where they aren’t supported which caused it to come unglued. you can see i removed some fiberglass. i was hoping to reflux what is there and patch what i removed then put gel coat down and recarpet it.

Attachments

• photo285191.jpg
    photo285191.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
  • photo285192.jpg
    photo285192.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • photo285193.jpg
    photo285193.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • photo285194.jpg
    photo285194.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • photo285195.jpg
    photo285195.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • photo285196.jpg
    photo285196.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 8
  • photo285197.jpg
    photo285197.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • photo285198.jpg
    photo285198.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm pretty sure you have issues below the deck that will need to be addressed so I wouldn't worry about trying to fix the floor. I'd remove it and see what lies below. Boats of this vintage typically require a total GUT and repair. Transom needs to be core sampled too!!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep like everyone else said probably have more issues than just the deck ... I know it's not what you want to hear .. But we have seen this story over and over again .. Only one way to find out and dig a little deeper .. No biggy it all can be fixed relatively easily ....

DomBl

Recruit
I've been debating the best way to work on this boat. I know I need a new transom and the floors are looking rough in spots so i was going to remove all of it. I was looking for the best way to do this. Does anyone know if you can take to top blue part off. To me it looks like the steel trim that is riveted on holds it in place. Can i cut all the rivets and pull the trim then pull the inside blue part out or is that fiberglassed in. Also if i can get that off where are the best places to cut the floor boards out so that i can easily put new ones in. One more question, What is the best way to get the transom unglued from the outside fiberglass. From what i read i should be able to get that out and cut a new piece and re-glue it to the exterior fiberglass. Thanks in advance.

oldrem

Commander
You would definitely have to drill out the rivets and remove the trim to pull the cap. Before you do that, take a good look from the underside. After going through all that I found the cap was so heavily fiber glassed in from the underside on my Ouachita I decided it would do too much damage to remove the cap and took another route. Most boats aren't like that though and the caps can be removed much easier than the Ouachita.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep start with the trim around the edges then do some digging and looking for places it may be glued together .. Might get lucky !