Water logged 84 bass tracker

prlwng

Seaman
Thanks to this site and a bit of utube I think my planing and low rider problem will soon be solved.

This is a new to me boat. 60hp 2str merc. 84 basstracker tournaent tx. The two times was able to get it out last year it seemed to ride very low in back. The second time had it out opened it up a bit more. Could not get it to really plane out.

Upon research here many had found water in foam. One person was able to get to most thru the storage boxes. Yep, that' what I found. Was able to get the bottom pieces out with them still frozen. When the channels got opened and thawing started. Had nipco running in shop. Even got some water pooling near transom. Never had water there when used for a couple hours.

Pretty sure this has been gone thru before. The bottom had like two layers bout 1.5 inches each thick. These also had many holes in them. The residue had accmulated in the channels blocking water going back.

heard of closed cell foam one may get at lumber yards. Is this okay to use? If so then will only have to cut sheet to sizes to insert where others had been. Will also have to fit in were ex panding type foam was on sides.

Vacumed bout three gallons water out. Also bout 100 lbs of water logged bottom layers of foam.

Yes one should pull the entire floor and decks off and do it different. This has very good carpet and decks are solid. In fact the entire boat is pretty good shape. Would like to just do a patch for this spring then next winter do a major. Will have the i/o out then and more shop room.

What are some of your thoughts on this.

chevymaher

Commander
Drill it check the wood. Is it dry. You been reading here. You know the routine I am sure.

If your on the extended vacation plan in Egypt. Boating on Denial. If you don't check wont make it go away.

I went on that vacation for a week by the way. Beautiful scenery. Right after I got back I started ripping the deck out.

prlwng

Seaman
Rear deck is aluminum, foam underneath. Transom is dark but very solid. Think front deck deck is wood top, but have not checked it throughly. Could stand on it and felt solid when fishing. One thing I did when checking it for purchase was bounce on it. 240 lbs didnt afectt it much.

Today it got up to 25 degrees. Tomorrow it will not get above zero. One has to work also and work takes precedence. So semi will be in shop when that cold out. It has to start hook and go when they will pay to do such.

the foam under seats was really good. Will just replace that. The foam between side to side stringers is what was bad. From compartments behind seats and back, This a l so under live well behind seats back.

chevymaher

Commander
Got ya. Mine is a glasser no hope deal. Once it is in there. Well you know what you got to do LOL